Is it really 95% the Rider and 5% the Bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

See regular posts saying a better bike won't make any difference, but this certainly suggests otherwise. :smile:

As someone else pointed out, being better than a 100 year-old, over-geared, over-weight single speed isn't really proof of anything. GCN did a similar video which made a lot more sense...

Citius

I see from your avatar you seem rather partial l to a Porsche where as Ford Ka would be far more efficient in getting from A to B in terms of costs so what's the point in a Porsche?

Depends on your definition of efficiency. If speed is a critical consideration, then the Porsche would undoubtedly be more efficient than the Ka. Unless you meant to say 'cheaper'...

Lonestar

Veteran
That's not quite true though with all those "jokers" who want to race me on boris bikes against my fixie.Push to the front at the lights and get nowhere.Not meant in a bad way but it's happened so many times.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Take two riders with the same bikes and the one with the best legs will always win, full stop.
There's no question about that. No argument at all, and I have always said the same.

My point is that with the same legs, you Can go faster on a better bike. That's always argued against when people ask on here and it's factually incorrect.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Why the assumption that everyone wants to be a better rider?

Not everyone does. I've got club mates who can afford a nice bike and just want to ride it to the cafe, which is cool. On the other hand, I know people who are overweight and don't train, who fret about their time trial PBs and continue to throw money at the problem to try and improve, when reducing their calorie intake and going on the turbo 2 hours a week would cut massive chunks off their times.

Hip Priest

Veteran
My point is that with the same legs, you Can go faster on a better bike. That's always argued against when people ask on here and it's factually incorrect.

Yep. Take two evenly matched riders, and the one with the better kit will win. That's why things get pricey at the sharp end!

Tin Pot

Guru
Why the assumption that everyone wants to be a better rider? Out of interest what bike do you ride? I see from your avatar you seem rather partial l to a Porsche where as Ford Ka would be far more efficient in getting from A to B in terms of costs so what's the point in a Porsche?
Why the assumption that I want everyone to be better riders?

Why promote uneccesary expenditure?

Lonestar

Veteran
Although what I mean though is if the boris bike riders were riding an identical bike to mine they'd probably mostly beat me.:whistle:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Depends on your definition of efficiency. If speed is a critical consideration, then the Porsche would undoubtedly be more efficient than the Ka. Unless you meant to say 'cheaper'...
Did you not read the post I defined efficient? "far more efficient in getting from A to B in terms of costs so what's the point in a Porsche?"
I was waiting for the speed counter perhaps you would like to tell me with how much quicker a car that has the BHP of a Porsche gets from London to Brighton observing the speed limits and with the limitations of normal traffic conditions. Not a lot is the right answer.

Citius

Did you not read the post I defined efficient? "far more efficient in getting from A to B in terms of costs so what's the point in a Porsche?"

That's a measure of cost-effectiveness - not 'efficiency'.

I was waiting for the speed counter perhaps you would like to tell me with how much quicker a car that has the BHP of a Porsche gets from London to Brighton observing the speed limits and with the limitations of normal traffic conditions. Not a lot is the right answer.

Nice of you to belatedly impose your own parameters on an argument, in order to avoid losing it.. :laugh:

Hip Priest

Veteran
Given that the whole premise of the thread is about competition, going faster, and the importance of the bicyclie in achieving this aim, I'm not sure how we've spent so much time talking about how some people don't care about going fast. Good for them, but it's hardly relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom