Is it the way I ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevie Lake

I have a giant defy 1 with the 'Giant P-class or P-Elite' wheelset and it seems to be after every few rides the spokes on the wheels come loose and need tightend. I always use the bike on solid road (after all it is a road bike). Does anybody know if this is a common fault, bad set of wheels or maybe i'm riding it wrong, doubt that it is that but.
Thanks

Kies

No issues to date with my stock Defy 1 wheelset - covered 2500 miles thus far.
If not impolite to ask - how heavy are you, and what psi are you pumping the tyres up to?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
When I bought my Defy 2 (couple of years ago now) I asked my LBS whether there was an issue with the spokes coming loose on the stock wheelset as I had read that there may be. I was told that there had been an issue with them but that it had been sorted now. Anyway, after having to re-tighten spokes after a few rides on quite a number of occasions, including where they had loosened sufficiently to cause the wheel to rub, I took it back and told him that despite what he had said it was clear there was an issue with my wheelset, he swapped them for some Mavic Aksiums at no cost to me and I've had no problems since.
It would appear that there was/is/can be an issue with them and I'd suggest speaking to whoever you bought it from and getting the wheelset replaced.

Edit: Just checked, mine's a 2010 model bought in spring 2011.

OP
OP
Stevie Lake

Stevie Lake

No issues to date with my stock Defy 1 wheelset - covered 2500 miles thus far.
If not impolite to ask - how heavy are you, and what psi are you pumping the tyres up to?
I'm currently 13.5 stone, not to good at converting that into kilo, and i normally inflate before every ride to 120psi

OP
OP
Stevie Lake

Stevie Lake

When I bought my Defy 2 (couple of years ago now) I asked my LBS whether there was an issue with the spokes coming loose on the stock wheelset as I had read that there may be. I was told that there had been an issue with them but that it had been sorted now. Anyway, after having to re-tighten spokes after a few rides on quite a number of occasions, including where they had loosened sufficiently to cause the wheel to rub, I took it back and told him that despite what he had said it was clear there was an issue with my wheelset, he swapped them for some Mavic Aksiums at no cost to me and I've had no problems since.
It would appear that there was/is/can be an issue with them and I'd suggest speaking to whoever you bought it from and getting the wheelset replaced.

Edit: Just checked, mine's a 2010 model bought in spring 2011.
I had heard that some bikes were having this problem, wasn't sure if they had sorted it or not, its already went back once, think its going back again. Thanks :smile:

OP
OP
Stevie Lake

Stevie Lake

Thanks guys, gutting but reassuring news

I have a giant defy 1 with the 'Giant P-class or P-Elite' wheelset and it seems to be after every few rides the spokes on the wheels come loose and need tightend. I always use the bike on solid road (after all it is a road bike). Does anybody know if this is a common fault, bad set of wheels or maybe i'm riding it wrong, doubt that it is that but.
Thanks

Find a good wheel smith and get them rebuilt.

Top Bottom