Is it time to start bombarding our MPs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hopefully if Scotland introduce it, England may follow suit.
If not, I might just have to emigrate, if the Scots will have me!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think perhaps you are being a little naive. There are so many disciplines within "cycling", how could we (cyclists) possibly find agreement regarding what to ask our politicians for?
I dont think its quite as split as you'd think. I've seen many old vehicular cyclists like myself get converted to the Dutch standards. I also think most cyclists (you'd have to be pretty dim not to) want to see better driving standards and the really bad removed from the road.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
to take this thread a little more seriously......few political buttons work as well as the car. Some MPs (a small minority) see the car as overbearing, but, for most it's a fact, not to be messed with. I was persuaded by Ken Livingstone back in 1969 that the car is a pox upon the world, and, since then, whatever the bike, (Holdsworth, Dawes hybrid, Colnago(s), 1953 BSA, Kirk or Brompton), I've been a political cyclist in that I see the cycle as a counterpoint to and an improvement on the car.

If you've been across to 'Informal Rides' you'll see that cycling is a shining light in my life. It supplies a lot of the poetry. It's brought me friendship on a grand scale. It keeps my waistline in check. All this is good, but there's better to come. Forty years ago I could have cycled the thirteen miles to Epsom or seven miles to Marylebone and seen, perhaps, two or three other cyclists. Now.......they're beyond counting. Lately I've taken to standing on street corners and just marvelling at the sheer number of people, of all levels of fitness and none, riding bikes of every description and some that defy description. My heart soars like a dove.

But.............is there some great purpose being served, something more politically meaningful than my state of mind? Kindasortamaybe. What's apparent is that mass cycling is not the big answer to sustainable transport. It costs us very little (most of the time http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dumbass-lcc-bike-lane-on-stratford-high-street.142505/ ) but the numbers do not look so brilliant when you compare it with the bus. There's a rich and unfortunate irony here - in dense cities where cycling works the best, it's not the best answer. Where cycling works least well, it's a small answer to a question that is both vast and just plain wrong.

The real battle is elsewhere. It's in the way we build towns and roads. The UK is cursed by suburbia, that is, increasingly, turning to exurbia. Now, I like suburbia. I like the front gardens, I like the fake history (sorry @Archie_tect ), I like the teashops and the sheer absence of a guiding intelligence (or any kind of intelligence). But suburbia/exurbia is choking what was once the countryside and turning our cities in to commuter hell. We, that is to say almost all of us, want our little patch of green but that wanting is going to do us in. And a large part of that doing in will be the ever-increasing reliance on the car for patterns of movement that the bus and the train are never going to be able to serve.

So..........by all means start a Cyclists Party. I'll join - I love a good party. But don't kid yourselves it's the answer. The answer, the revivifying and intensifying of our cities is so far off the panorama of our political horizons that, if I steel myself to think about it, I despair. It's true that this year I've been drawing just over 500 flats to be built next to big public transport (and 240 of those just down the road from where I live) but that's a drop in the ocean when hundreds of towns like Yarm, Sittingbourne and Worthing are being girdled by acres and acres of car-dependent semi-Ds. As a country we are petrol junkies, and our politics continues to fuel the habit. You are all noble souls, pedalling virtuously, but, sadly, pedalling against the grain rather than toward a new dawn and a brighter day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
@dellzeqq, I really enjoyed your post and I believe you are quite right, however campaigning doesn't have to be about cycling at the detriment to other forms of sustainable transport. I think you are right that the car isn't going to go away and to be honest I'd be totally knackered if it did, living and working in a rural community means I am reliant on a motor vehicle.
The sorts of things I am thinking of, is trying to end the poor attitude to cyclists by other road users and the poor attitude to cyclists by planners and road builders (I am sure there are other points:tongue:).
Somebody further up the thread said that the politicians stopped considering us once in place, that may be true, but I would have thought any politician in it for the long term would want to be re-elected. Would you vote for someone again after being ignored the first time?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
@dellzeqq, I really enjoyed your post and I believe you are quite right, however campaigning doesn't have to be about cycling at the detriment to other forms of sustainable transport. I think you are right that the car isn't going to go away and to be honest I'd be totally knackered if it did, living and working in a rural community means I am reliant on a motor vehicle.
The sorts of things I am thinking of, is trying to end the poor attitude to cyclists by other road users and the poor attitude to cyclists by planners and road builders (I am sure there are other points:tongue:).
Somebody further up the thread said that the politicians stopped considering us once in place, that may be true, but I would have thought any politician in it for the long term would want to be re-elected. Would you vote for someone again after being ignored the first time?
absolutely. It's when cycling is touted as a miracle cure to all of society's ills (with a price tag attached) that I get shirty

in all honesty - legislation on liability aside I reckon a lot of the respect thing is only fixable at ground level. It's a question of knowing when to protest and when to spread the love

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
absolutely. It's when cycling is touted as a miracle cure to all of society's ills (with a price tag attached) that I get shirty

in all honesty - legislation on liability aside I reckon a lot of the respect thing is only fixable at ground level. It's a question of knowing when to protest and when to spread the love
10 years ago cycling wasnt even considered, now its being flagged and discussed in the media and political arena, Dell. This is because people have pushed, and the more that do push the better it can get.

As I said with helmet cameras - there is an opportunity - social media is allowing us to share information, educate ourselves and spread the knowledge. Because of this we are on a far better stance with regards campaigning. We now have the tools, to scale it back would be a mistake, and to over-estimate the power and the influence of the motor is also a mistake.

I don't know if peak oil will impact, but peak car certainly is. My own city as an example shows that we cannot get anymore cars in. The roads jam up twice a day for nearly 4-5 hours. Then they have to find somewhere to park. Southampton is the most obese city in the south. I'm not saying the bike is a panacea - but its certainly leverage.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Well, I've had a reply.
Sounds like a positive outcome to me.
Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to cyclists’ safety.

Your email is timely in that I have just had the pleasure of lending my support to a campaign by the Cyclists’ Defence Fund calling for stronger enforcement of traffic law and better investigations of crashes.

The Cyclists’ Defence Fund is a well-known cycling charity – their Patron is HM the Queen and their President is Channel 4 presenter Jon Snow.

In 2012 Cumbria Constabulary had 84 traffic police officers representing just 7.40% of all officers in the force. Since 2002/03 to 2011/12 that means that Cumbria Police has had a decrease of 22% in the number of police officers within the traffic-policing function. According to the campaigners they believe that in Cumbria we see 21 road casualties per traffic officer.

I have asked for Cumbria’s Police Commissioner to formally respond to the report Road Justice: the role of the police and called on him to implement the report's recommendations. The Commissioner recently met campaigners and took a photo outside a police station, but according to the campaigners he has not yet replied to their report.

In July I found out for myself just how tough it is to travel along Lake District roads as a cyclist. I cycled with a local resident to see for myself how dangerous the A591 from Brockhole to Ambleside after a number of complaints from my constituents about the poor state of Lake District roads for cycling - I decided it was time for me to step up and have a crack at it myself!

I now want the PCC to step up too and agree to implement these recommendations and help protect cyclists on our highways.

I have also written to the Transport Secretary on your behalf to ask him to initiate a campaign to educate motorists on the importance of passing cyclists safely, and I will write again, when I have received his response.

With best wishes

clockman

Über Member
Is it only me, but I really do not think there is the political will to do anything about this. Every time PM Dave does a re-shuffle, the transport minister changes. This means that everything goes back to the beginning.
Unfortunately, the internal combustion engine is GOD. That particular lobby has everyone else by the short hairs.
I fully understand that my apathy and inactivity, is part of the problem. As cyclists, we don't have the financial clout (at the present time) to force changes and until we do we will have to take what little we are offered.

Top Bottom