Is it too far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
How much is the time difference between your current means and as planned on two wheels. You might find that overall there may be little difference

rivers

How far can I go?
I used to have a 15 mile each way commute, and I rode it on average 3 days/week. I absolutely loved it (and miss it). It took, on average, about an hour each way, and for me, it was agreat way to start the day. And to be honest, took around the same amount of time as driving (even though the driving route was about 9 miles each way) due to traffic. In the summer, I quite often met up with friends for an extended ride home. Winter is all about having the right kit.

I used to cycle 15 miles to work once a week when the month didn't have an 'R' in it; that way warmer weather and lighter, longer days made the journey enjoyable. It was a great way to keep fit and arrive both at work, then at the end of the day back home, healthier and happier. Bon-velo !

Alex321

Veteran
I wouldn't fancy doing 15 miles each way - too knackering if you get a headwind going home after being on the go at work all day, plus there's also the time factor. Two hours minimum added to your overall working day under good conditions. Add some horrible windy weather that really slows you down and it could easily be an extra 2 1/2 hours plus work time. Over the course of a week it adds up.
I never used to mind doing a 5 mile ride to work as it was 25 minutes at an easy, non-sweaty, pace and not much different time-wise to driving. Longer distances + a full day at work on top don't appeal to me in the slightest.
When I'm in the office (and when my broken wrist is healed!), I do 15 miles each way, over moderately hilly terrain.

Yes, it is roughly an hour each way, but driving would be 30 minutes in the morning, 40 in the evening (I go in early enough to be not too much traffic, but harder to avoid in the evening). So it is only adding an hour or a bit less to my overall time out of the house.

And when I'm WFH, I normally go out for a ride after work, of between 12 and 20 miles, so I actually get home about the same time I would after that ride.

Top Bottom