Is it too far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
At first, maybe do one day on bike, one on car. I used to do between 13 and 25 miles each way (going the long route). I'm currently doing 13 miles along a bumpy canal two days a week when in the office, other days, just out from home.
Put the bike in the Car and cycle home Thursday night. Cycle in Friday Morning and build from there.

Good luck.

Terrain, fitness, days a week, time etc are things to way up @Easytigers . At my last work I did 15miles each way, 4-5 days a week down the busway into Cambridge and that was pleasantly doable. For my current role I'm doing 11miles post train (just 1mile to it) with 500ft of climbing but just once a week. If it wasn't for the train bit I'd gladly do it more often as I like hills and if it was longer I wouldn't mind. At the moment I am really enjoying the central circa 9 miles on less busy and undulating roads. The last mile in town is a bit off a ball ache through town with nose to tail traffic (I can usually by pass it down the middle of the road and the last 0.25 miles after the last roundabout up a 5.6% average hill is fun)

Two-Wheels

The only thing that stops me biking to work is the gear I'd have to take in.
If it's on a day where I gym in the morning then it's out of the question.

I could get round part of it by leaving my work boots at work, which they don't really like you doing.
But I have to take in a 1ltr flask as well as other bits of break/dinner time gear.

I've done it a few times & without being weighed down by any of that, it took me 33mins37sec to do the trip which is 10.25 mile. I was happy enough with it as it takes me about 20min-25min to do it by car, traffic depending.
But as I say, that's without being weighed down & also wearing cycling gear, not scuffs work pants and a hi-viz hoodie.

On longer commutes riding efficiency is more significant. A practical road bike with good 25-28mm tyres, bolt on mudguards and a rear lugggage system, either backpack, saddle bag or slim rack eg Tubus Fly and small panniers.
Aero bars are good on the open road but not city streets. Cycle shorts recommended.
Ride half the distance, or the full distance every other day until you get used to extended riding.
Eat and drink well . In an office you should prehydrate with a big mug of tea or something at 4.00 for a 5.00 ride

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
10 miles each way is the perfect commute distance imho. Far enough to feel the benefits and to be worth it and not too far to be a chore. Always scope to add some extra on the way home when you’re back into it? So your 8.something is ideal if you’re coming back after a lay off.

D

Deleted member 1258

The only thing that stops me biking to work is the gear I'd have to take in.
If it's on a day where I gym in the morning then it's out of the question.

I could get round part of it by leaving my work boots at work, which they don't really like you doing.
But I have to take in a 1ltr flask as well as other bits of break/dinner time gear.

I've done it a few times & without being weighed down by any of that, it took me 33mins37sec to do the trip which is 10.25 mile. I was happy enough with it as it takes me about 20min-25min to do it by car, traffic depending.
But as I say, that's without being weighed down & also wearing cycling gear, not scuffs work pants and a hi-viz hoodie.

I cycled to and from work for over 30 years, only stopped when I retired, I used to cycle in my work clothes, including steel toe capped boots, I used to open up toe clips and rebend them to fit the boots.

Haha! You might be right…but fittest in the school staff room! Although might be fittest in the school. We did ‘ How far can you run in 5 mins’ with year 6…no one was able to run for the whole time!!! I was actually shocked!!!
My eldest goes to run club which is about building endurance and stamina. He has turned into a Duracell bunny! The club is only an hour long but he easily sprints around 5k over that time. There is a mix of drills, they run round a hockey pitch perimeter and then swap over, only gets about 60 seconds rest between efforts. ^_^ Proud Dad! Dualathon next step, maybe?

My commute to work is down the stairs and into the living room. ☹️ Now the weather has turned, I can get out at lunchtime for a quick 10miler in 40mins, I’m no TTer.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
also depends on how physical your job is , family situation and commute times, mines 10 miles on early/ late shifts and its plenty for me as earlies im out the door by 4.30 am , on lates it can be gone 1 am when i get home so i have to be pretty self sufficient as there is no one about who you can rely on for help if theres a problem .Mrs CK didnt appreciate me phoning up gone midnight when my tyre was toast !

As well as the commute time you need to take account of the time taken to get ready and out the door and also the time taken to get sorted out at the other end in time for work. You also need to sort out how to have things in the right place. My commute was 15 miles each way.
The biggest influence on the commute time was the strength of the wind which was rarely in my favour. The commute could take anything between 45minutes and an hour and 10 minutes. I had to allow least half an hour before and after to be in time for work.

As well as the commute time you need to take account of the time taken to get ready and out the door and also the time taken to get sorted out at the other end in time for work. You also need to sort out how to have things in the right place. My commute was 15 miles each way.
The biggest influence on the commute time was the strength of the wind which was rarely in my favour. The commute could take anything between 45minutes and an hour and 10 minutes. I had to allow least half an hour before and after to be in time for work.
End of ride cooldown is much quicker if done on the bike with a 5 min rolling cruise rather than a sprint followed by hanging around by the bike shed for 5 mins.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Good to hear that you’re all good. Went for a Wilier Montegrappa (think that’s right!) seemed like a good bit of bike for the money with tiagra kit. It fits and up to now (for the first two days!!!) seems comfy
They're decent bikes; I used one as a commuter for about four years until I swapped for a full carbon commuter last year, having ridden over 10,000 miles.

Two-Wheels

I cycled to and from work for over 30 years, only stopped when I retired, I used to cycle in my work clothes, including steel toe capped boots, I used to open up toe clips and rebend them to fit the boots.

Have to say that when fuel prices were getting silly (not that they're great now but you get me) I was pricing up panniers & bags with serious consideration to start going to work on the bike.

It also reminds me of the YouTuber Scooby (not sure how many of you here will know of him? Channel is scooby1961). I've watched him on & off for years & can remember him talking about how he was basically able to retire in his 40s.
There were lots of other things no doubt (such as having a well paid job for a start!) but I remember one of the things he said he did was bike to work daily. Costs nothing other than time & maintenance & you're saving daily vs any vehicle, even public transport, which stacks up over the years.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I wouldn't fancy doing 15 miles each way - too knackering if you get a headwind going home after being on the go at work all day, plus there's also the time factor. Two hours minimum added to your overall working day under good conditions. Add some horrible windy weather that really slows you down and it could easily be an extra 2 1/2 hours plus work time. Over the course of a week it adds up.
I never used to mind doing a 5 mile ride to work as it was 25 minutes at an easy, non-sweaty, pace and not much different time-wise to driving. Longer distances + a full day at work on top don't appeal to me in the slightest.

Top Bottom