Is it worth an extra £300?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottyB

Thanks to the amazing threads on this site, my bike search is gathering pace!

I am currently sitting between the Specialized Roubaix 2015 models SL4 Sport or Elite - my budget is/was £1,500 but obviously the Elite is £1,800 so I am trying to work out what you get for your £300 and understand what this means and whether it is worth it!

Essentially the bikes are the same aside from

1. Chainset - FSA Gossamer or Praxis Works TURN Zayante
Is the Praxis Works a noticeable/worthwhile upgrade, lots of bikes seem to run the Gossamer?

2. Brakes - Axis 1.0 or Shimano 105
I understand Axis is Specialized's own brake but it is going to be noticeably inferior to a 105? Could always swap these later for £30 each

3. Wheels - most significantly I think is the AXIS 2.0 or Fulcrum S5
I cannot exactly find a Fulcrum S5 on line to price up so is this a worthwhile upgrade?

My LBS is offering 10% is accessories so I am fairly happy I will be getting a decent deal on either bike.

All advice/reviews/experiences greatly received!

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hmm, I'll try.

1. Probably nothing in it except weight.

2. Brake pads will make more difference than just the calipers. 105's are very nice and have great positive feel, but their pads are a bit rubbish in the wet.

3. This will be the biggest difference and the Fulcrums should be superior here. Good wheels would be worth most of the £300 difference by themselves.

I have no experience of Praxis but in my opinion FSA Gossamer is useless. As you say "lots of bikes seem to run the Gossamer" - as a cost cutting option, which will cost you extra soon after purchase.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have no experience of Praxis but in my opinion FSA Gossamer is useless. As you say "lots of bikes seem to run the Gossamer" - as a cost cutting option, which will cost you extra soon after purchase.
What's usekess about the Gossamer? Please explain? Genuinely interested your reasoning.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
What's usekess about the Gossamer? Please explain? Genuinely interested your reasoning.

Ditto - I have FSA Gossamer MegaExo on my bike and a few thousand miles down track it is faultless.

Never needed adjusting, spins beautifully. Does the job.

Some black paint has worn off due to heel-strike but all makes do that and it's hardly a biggie.

Looks (to my eyes) much better than eg Ultegra although that's not a massive thing either.

adamhearn

Veteran
Heresay or experience? The Gossamer crankset will be fine of course but maybe the brand isn't for you.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Question is... Do you like the yellow, or the black and white?

csbc2559gg.jpg

or

73451.jpg

Im a boring old fart so I would pay the £300 just to not have the yellow!

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
I am a Matte Black fan, but that Yellow is pretty cool I must say.

Broadside

Guru
I swapped the Axis 1.0 brakes for Shimano 105; there was no noticeable difference to braking but the groupset all matches on the bike. I weighed both sets of calipers and the Axis were actually lighter, so you can't really call it an upgrade!

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
There's probably not much in it really. The calipers are cheap enough to upgrade, you probably won't notice much difference in the wheels either. As for the crankset, you could upgrade later to match the rest of the groupset. Just my thoughts of course....

KneesUp

Guru
We can't make a judgement without knowing what you would otherwise spend the £300 on. If it's otherwise going on 'Old Three Legs' at Kempton Park then get the bike. If you'd otherwise donate it to a worthwhile charity, get the cheaper bike.

My guess is that without the branding you wouldn't be able to tell £300 of difference and would be happy with either.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

Thanks for the advice - the extra £300 hmm, it was more a case of going without for a few months as it doesn't quite exist but with it being for a bike of course we 'find' these ways :-)

I actually quite like the yellow/green and it would match my helmet. I love the carbon/matt look but I think having a striking colour is quite exciting. I know many won't agree though!

Genuinely interested in the Gossamer comments and wonder if anyone can elaborate?

I also haven't managed to find a link to the Fulcrum wheels so if anyone can help that would be great.

Otherwise looks like it will be a green (I am saying green!) Roubaix Sport.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

Question is... Do you like the yellow, or the black and white?

csbc2559gg.jpg

or

73451.jpg

Im a boring old fart so I would pay the £300 just to not have the yellow!

They also do the cheaper model in grey - apparently all the dealers struggled to shift luminous green to the "typical" Roubaix rider!

Top Bottom