Is it worth buying a folder ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, Mrs Cisamcgu and I both have Bromptons for our multi-modal adventures, but Miss Cisamcgu doesn't, being a student and not liking cycling all that much anyway. However we are all going on a canal boat for 5 days in July and Mrs C and I are taking our Brommies so we can zip off to shops and pubs etc. Is it worth buying a cheap folder from decathlon (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tilt-120-folding-bike-red-id_8500542.html) using it for a week or two for Miss C then selling it on ebay for hopefully - say £120 ...

I don't know of anyway to hire a folder for a week and I don't think Miss C would appreciate being left to walk as we two cycled off to a cafe :smile:

Any thoughts ?

Andrew

gizmo1994

kais01

Regular
your daughter might not be happy having a brompton given to her.

but having an extra on your behalf is different. i have kept an old brompton for spare, and use it also for friends and relatives.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Sent you a pm cisamcgu
Thanks.

Smudge

Veteran
I would buy a used one, rather than a cheap new one. You have a few months until July, should be enough time to find something ok secondhand. And if you do sell it, you'll probably lose less than if you bought a new cheap one.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I would buy a used one, rather than a cheap new one. You have a few months until July, should be enough time to find something ok secondhand. And if you do sell it, you'll probably lose less than if you bought a new cheap one.

I understand what you mean, it is just finding the right one ... Thanks :smile:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
That is very kind of both of you - I really appreciate it. I'm afraid I would worry too much about dropping it into the canal to take up your kind offers - but thank you again :smile: :hugs:

Kell

Veteran
That is very kind of both of you - I really appreciate it. I'm afraid I would worry too much about dropping it into the canal to take up your kind offers - but thank you again :smile: :hugs:

Sale or return? Deposit?

I think the best idea is as above - buy a cheap SH bike and then resell it after. You'll lose loads if you buy it new and then sell it.

In fact, you'd probably lose nothing if you bought a SH Brompton and then resold it afterwards - but it's stumping up the cash upfront on the off-chance.

Top Bottom