Is it worth buying Used components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_abhiG

Regular
So never bought used product before I need some advice, New Claris St-r2000 shifter is priced around 150 bucks but I got a deal on a used one for 85 bucks, not exactly used it's been remove from another bike because rider was newbie didn't had confidence in dropbar so they removed it, I want to know if it's worth buying or should I go for new? Thanks.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes. it's absolutely worth buying used components.

As long as you are honest with the buyer that it's not a new product then there shouldn't be a problem.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Lots of bicycle parts are simple and robust. They are worth buying used and will probably give years of service.

Some parts are more delicate or prone to wear, or just not worth the saving, and I would usually buy new or unused. I'd include brifters, cartridge bottom brackets and headsets in this category.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s almost all I use (can get) down here. If you’re careful you can save a lot of money and get some real bargains. Just bought an expensive Brooks leather saddle for three quid, ready broken in :okay:
Your shifter should be a solid buy.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Depends as some are a better bet than others IMO due to potential for wear and damage. Shifters, wheels, brake calipers, derailleurs should all be a relatively safe bet if properly inspected / tested; more wear-prone parts such as cassettes, chainrings, chains and cables I'd be more wary of.

OP
OP
T

the_abhiG

Regular
How much of price difference should I accept? Is the price mentioned above alright?

vickster

Legendary Member
How much of price difference should I accept? Is the price mentioned above alright?
Sounds a decent deal. How much would a used pair cost? It’s sometimes more economical to buy two even if you only need one. The spare could go in the parts box or be resold to recoup some cost 👍

Second hand is fine if you are careful,

I sometimes buy second hand because new bits of the spec I want are no longer available.

(most of my bikes are nine speed)

Some of those old bits are damn tough and superior to newer stuff.

I have one rear mech (Ultegra/105? - can't remember) which came new to me on a bike bought in 2004 - now on its second bike with new jockey wheels - still going strong despite having a bash. I bought a second hand one later as a spare - has long been discontinued.

I also have stocks of second hand 9 speed fronts.

I tend to swerve ebay adds which say something like "see photo for condition/wear" - ie they are making no claims whatsoever for condition.

Another point.

I wouldn't buy second hand wheels - hard to determine what state the hubs are in and I know many people never touch them.

And if rim brakes (all mine are), I don't want worn rims - many folk aren't as careful as me I'm sure in cleaning rims and pads.

New wheels for my sort of cycling can be had at very decent prices and I can ensure that they are well treated from the start.

My tough new wheels with good solid shimano hubs doubtless cost less than many folk pay for second hand wheels.

I did buy some second hand (as in bought by the seller, never used at all - an abandoned wheel building project) CXP22 rims to build up - for wonder of wonders, the new improved CXP Elites are more elite in that lots of braking surface has been cut off.

The wonders of (marketing) progress.

In short, second hand can be better than new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom