Is it worth carrying FULL waterproof gear....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Take what you will definitely need, and leave the rest at home. You are not going to the back of beyond, there are plenty of shops in Germany if you find you really need some more clothing. I have found it quite refreshing to buy some clothing in the middle of a tour, makes a pleasant change after a few weeks to wear something different.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I think a waterproof jacket is a must and given that you will be facing summer rain I think you can do away with the trousers, BUT, do take a pair of waterproof overshoes because wet feet at any time of year can feel very cold and must be the most demoralising thing there is.

This is what I am starting to think I will do. I am familier with German summers, they can be HOT and on occassion thundery. I will probably end up riding in longs if it is cold and wet, shorts if it is warm and wet and leave the waterproof overtrousers at home. I will take my altura nightvision jacket and some nike neoprene overshoes...I cant see me needing full winter kit...erm...famous last words...:biggrin:

Achilles

I found that the waterproof overshoes worn without trousers were worse than usless - I cannot get them to seal around my ankles so they act as funnels, gathering all the water thay flows down my legs into my shoes!

I am wondering about Montane windproof/showerproof trousers - pack smaller than an apple but might keep the water out of the shoes and will keep me warm even if/when they wet out.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Achilles said:
I found that the waterproof overshoes worn without trousers were worse than usless - I cannot get them to seal around my ankles so they act as funnels, gathering all the water thay flows down my legs into my shoes!

I am wondering about Montane windproof/showerproof trousers - pack smaller than an apple but might keep the water out of the shoes and will keep me warm even if/when they wet out.

That's an interesting problem. Perhaps solved by the deployment of a couple of decent elastic bands or luminious velcro safety strips?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Achilles said:

It rather depends on whether you intention is to keep you feet completely dry or if you are just trying to keep them warm, if somewhat damp, the wetsuit principal. To keep them completely dry does need over trousers, but if it just summer thunder storms it is usually fairly warm afterwards and you can dry out again. There is no perfect solution.

orbiter

You're most unlikely to need longs in summer in Germany. I've toured there for the last few years in June/July/August. As BTFB says, it can be HOT and thundery. I use RonHills over cycle shorts rather than cycle longs but have never needed them. My basic clothing kit has evolved to
  • Short-sleeved cycle shirt
  • Long-sleeved cycle shirt
  • Sleeveless cycle shirt (never needed)
  • Shorts x 2
  • Ron Hill trousers (never needed)
  • Light rain/wind-proof top (Montane)
  • Rainlegs
  • Quick-drying travel shirt for evenings
  • Light and quick drying Rohan long trousers for cool/formal evenings
  • Loose (Peter Storm) shorts for warm evenings & urban cycling
  • Light fleece for cool evenings
  • SPD cycle shoes
  • All-terrain sandals
I've never needed the Ron Hills but would still take them.
The multiple cycle shirts get used in whatever combination suits the temperature but I've not needed the long-sleeved shirt.
The minimal weight of the Ron Hills and long-sleeved shirt seem like good insurance against an unlikely cold snap.
I keep money & keys in the loose shorts, in the top of a saddlebag, so I can easily put them on and be fully equipped if I stop in a town to explore.
The Montane jacket & Rainlegs have kept me as sufficiently dry through some very heavy rain. In summer, over-trousers seem well ott.
For shoes, I used sandals for the whole trip last year. Warm water bouncing off roads was a strange but pleasant feeling. Wearing proper shoes I don't bother about wet feet. They've never got cold as long as my core was warm enough - and I have white finger/toe disease so am quite sensitive to cold feet!

Hope that helps. It's all very personal though. I did the C2C with Norwegian friends a few summers ago - me in a thin cycle shirt while they were wearing fleeces!

Pete

Pete

Top Bottom