Is it worth carrying FULL waterproof gear....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

....on a summer tour?

I am off to Germany in the summer for what could be 4-6 weeks. I want to minimise what I am carrying for weight reasons. Last summer in the UK I needed the full kit (Jacket, trousers, over shoes). This year I also own a pair of Goretex windstopper longs which I thought I should take for any colder days. So why would I need the waterproof DHB overtrousers as well? I know that if I dont take them it will snow for 6 weeks & if I do take them it will be tropical.
...are you summer tourers taking FULL waterproof kit or risking it?

Brock

Just a very light water resistant jacket for me. Don't fancy lugging waterproofs when there's perfectly good roofed bars, restaurants, and coffee shops around. As long as it's not particularly cold, being wet won't be a huge problem.
I hope. :biggrin:

jags

Guru
good pair overshoes waterproof of course and rain jacket ,if you dont need them great,if you do ,peace of mind you aint going to get wet because you had the good sense to bring them..
have a great tour .

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Lightweight waterproof breatheable jacket which doubles up as a coat in the evenings is all I take. Lycra shorts dry quickly as do jerseys.

byegad

Legendary Member
Depends how wet and cold you are prepared to get. I keep as dry as possible as I suffer from arthritis and cold and wet seize me up.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was wavering about the trousers but have now decided not to take them. I look like a michelin girl in them anyway!! For me it'll be just a jacket...although I'm now undecided about the shoes!!

Danny

Legendary Member
I doubt you would need longs if you are cycling in Germany in the summer.

However I would take the waterproof trousers in case there are some long spells of rain. I personally get miserable getting wet for any length of time.

Also, you can always put the waterproof trousers on if does get really cold for some reason.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I think I'd take the longs rather than the over trousers because wearing waterproofs with just shorts underneath is a waste of time and they just make you sweat. At least the longs can be worn comfortably on the bike and will keep me warm in bad weather. Only thing is I'll look a bit weird in the bier kellers wearing those things!

I dont mind the odd shower, and getting wet isnt such a big deal on the bike, but getting cold is. My concern is that we hit a weeks BAD weather...like I did last summer and because we are camping there wont be any respite from the elements....no hotels on this trip.

What I need are waterproof breathable jeans that look cool off the bike and dont weigh anything & will keep me warm in the cold.

BTFB, two pair of bike shorts, one wet/washed, one dry and a lightweight pair of trousers such as made by F&T/Rohan/Regatta/Patagonia etc... for evening wear. The latter are normally man made fabrics and dry quickly.

Most campsites will have some kind of dryer if you need it but if you take that kind of stuff plus microfibre towels etc... you shouldn't need it.
If I did wash, then the whole lot, including wet waterproof went into the dryer so I didn't waste money on single items. I also used to use Gore-tex socks for the evening, enabling you to wear your wet shoes. It's not so bad putting wet shoes on next day for cycling but you don't want damp feet at night.

I'd recommend 2-3 pairs of bib shorts/shorts (depending on how often you think you'll be able to wash them) and leg warmers for coldish weather (how cold does it get in Germany in the summer?) and rain trousers. I don't think bib longs will be necessary, but light rain trousers (Altura Rush, for example) will be worth having and take little place.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
What I need are waterproof breathable jeans that look cool off the bike and dont weigh anything & will keep me warm in the cold.

that are fire proof, that have a magic force field that repels sharp things from the path of your tyres, that don't ever, ever get caught in the chain or absorb oily stains, with a pocket with a never ending supply of tenners and another that never runs out of euros? let me know when you find these magic trousers, i'd like to buy some too:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would think that your best approach would be to look for some climatic data for the area you going to. I think you will find that as most of German has a continental climate that the summers are warm and dry. There may be the risk of thunder storms in late summer, but due to the higher average temperatures over-trousers would be uncomfortably hot. A pair of Ron Hill DXB bikesters (or similar) which have a water replant coating would be more comfortable.

As for wearing cycling gear in bier kellers, after a couple of steins, no one cares...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
When I do a longish tour I pack a Rohan waterproof overtrousers and jacket. They are very light and pack into their own pockets i.e. don't need much space either. I think a waterproof jacket is a must and given that you will be facing summer rain I think you can do away with the trousers, BUT, do take a pair of waterproof overshoes because wet feet at any time of year can feel very cold and must be the most demoralising thing there is.

Top Bottom