Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I'm Working in manchester at the moment and driving up every day so no cycle to work/trining for me :evil:, now in the old days I use to just have a wander during my lunch hour and take in the scenery and oggle the rather gorgeous sites - what I'm thinking is this, is it worth hopping on my bike every lunchtime and doing a hard and fast 45 mins? Will I get anything out of it? will it keep me in some sort of shape? Is there a way of maximising this time/effort to get the greatest results?

Or should I sit on the trainer in the basement and just go hell for leather?

Also - I'm based in Media City by the Lowry in Manc so a few tips on where to ride would be good.

lukesdad

I work away a lot and ive always gqt thw bike in the car and ride any chance i get.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I don't understand your predicament really.
You have a corporate gym ?
You are very lucky.
You want someone to tell you to go and use it at lunchtime in order to keep your fitness up?
I have to say you don't sound very committed.
If I had you as a client, I would be kicking you up the backside...
does that give you the incentive now?;)

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Corporate gym - don't make me laugh!

OK...that's it then, bike in boot of car perm with outings round Salford Quays.

What I was really after you muppets is how I can maximise the time, how should I be riding etc

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jiggery, I'm pretty sure there was a route around that bit of town in one of the comics a while back - I'll see if I can look it out again. As I remember, it'd be ok for a lunchtime.

montage

God Almighty
Intervals.

do a 5-10 min warm up, then do an interval session of your choice, but make sure you leave a few minutes to cool down and stretch (stretching will take at least 4mins after a hard session).

Interval sessions can include...

1. One min easy, One minute hard, two easy - two hard, three easy-three hard, four easy - four hard, three easy-three hard, two easy-two hard, one easy-one hard, rest of the ride easy :thumbsup:

2. You could also work on your sprints.... start with warming up, as always, 5 mins gentle and then 10 minutes of steady tempo at a pace which you couldn't hold convosation. Then find the quietest road you can. Put your gears into what you would sprint in....so I would suggest the big ring and 16/15/14 on the back, and slow down to as slow as you can without falling off. Staying in the saddle, accelerate as fast as you can. The first few pedal strokes are the most important here, building up muscles that will help you accelerate quickly from a seated position. Do 5 of these seated sprints...first one you hold the sprint for 100 metres, second you hold it for 200, then 300, then 200, then 100. Give yourself around 2 minutes rest in between these. This same session you could work on your out of the saddle sprinting technique...but I wouldn't go hell for leather due to the risk of falling off/ hitting cars etc.

3. Practise accelerations and holding that pace for a prolonged period of time....so ride briskly for 15 minutes then throw in a quick acceleration and hold that pace for as long as you can, going into a TT mode.

4. Practise your 10mile TT time

5. Have a recovary poodling ride, scoping out for new areas to do sprints, possible hills for intervals etc etc

Top Bottom