Is it worth lending your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Of all the things I won't lend to others, bikes rank highly, somewhere up there next to underwear!

That is very true. My sister and her fella stayed here for a weekend recently and I planned to show him a few of the local tracks and byways by bike, as he likes cycling but lives in London and won't ride there. I only have one bike, so I considered asking a neighbour if I could borrow theirs. I decided not to, as there is no way I would lend my bike to anyone, so I reckoned the answer would have been a no! (I would of course have looked after it though!). In the end we all just went to the pub instead.

Never a borrower nor a lender be, used to be my grandmother's advice.

At a guess, I'd say your cone nuts have become loose:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NGopD4ZD2M

Leaway2

Lycrist
If you take the wheel off and the axle does not fall out of each side, it is not broken. I replaced an axle on my hybrid. Not difficult, just a bit of a faff getting the correct tension on the bearings.

I lend bikes fairly often. Not super-spanky-new ones, but good, honest bicycles. Once or twice I've lent my 'best' bicycle, but only to trusted and close friends.

I've lent MTBs for off-roading, but I do get a little agitated when they're due back. I wouldn't lend one for an off-road event as I've had rim-brake pads go from fat to nothing in 100km. It's only children and their friends who don't wash MTBs down after borrowing them.

Lending bikes is a nice thing to do. Stuff does get knackered, but I've never had a 'bad' thing go. One chap lost a computer (cheapo Cateye job) and replaced it before I knew it was gone.

I lent a motor mower the other week and the clutch went from 'just right' to u/s in two days on a small, town lawn.... That got me slightly riled, but I think it had more to do with the person who borrowed it. And anyway it was a 5-minute fix.

Lend stuff. Lend everything. People will be nice to you and it will make you happy. And people will lend things back to you.

Amen.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thanks for all the advice. I will take the wheel off and have a good look. God knows when I will do it though as I hardly use that bike, but nevertheless, I am still not pleased about it,especially when he put it back without saying a word.:angry: He must know I was going to find out eventually.

Globalti

Legendary Member
He may not have realised it was broken; some people are mechanically useless twerps.

My wife's bike was off the road a while back (can't remember exact problem) but I said i would take it in the car the next day to the LBS near where I work "oh good" she said "If you're not using your bike i can borrow it then" I didn't worry about her using it for a second.....

At 5ft 4 and my bike a 56cm frame it was never going to happen but it did bring a smile to my face seeing her try!

Top Bottom