Is Lube Necessary During Summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi all, what are your thoughts on using a lubricant on the chain during this dry period? I do 40 miles a week on dusty trails and clean the chain thoroughly with GT85 after every ride. I also use all weather lubricant but wouldn't just a thorough clean be sufficient at the moment? To lube it every day so it picks up dust again the next day seems wasteful? Your thoughts would be interesting.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Up to you, chains are consumable so you may need a new one sooner.
You could try dry lube as that is less likely to attract dirt.

Ideally get lube into the chain then wipe the outer parts clean which is what I do.
At least then the inner parts get the oil which is the important part.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In my view a well lubed chain is essential for good mechanical performance throughout the year.

The important areas to lube are the rollers. I don't ride dusty trails but on the road my chains rarely get badly dirty.

The trick for me is to thoroughly clean the chain, lube each link very carefully on the roller, allow to dry and wipe off the excess with an oily cloth. Lube the upper surface of the chain from the bottom - the area which contacts the cassette and chain rings. Wiping away the excess spreads a small amount on to the outer surfaces to provide moisture protection.

After each ride wipe the chain with an oily cloth to remove dirt and replace the lube on external surfaces. The chain will remain largely clean for several weeks.

When it looks dirty or dry wash and relube. Perfection! ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I wax my chains (off the bike, immersed in molten wax, drip-dry, back on bike) and IMO it's absolutely ideal for summer riding as corrosion protection is poor but nothing sticks to it and the drivetrain remains lovely and clean for the 300 miles between applications.

As others have said you definitely need some lube of some sort.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You shouldn’t need to lube every ride. Approx 500 miles between applications (if no rain) is about right. But lube as as soon as you notice changes in the noises the chain is making.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dusty trails - just watch the lube evaporate ! Every other ride I'll lube my chain on my MTB at present, or every ride if it's been a longer one. It soon runs dry with the dust absorbing the oil. You'll also need to wife it down and the cassette/chainrings and jockey wheels with a cloth (old t-shirt) - I'm doing this every ride. I've found dry lube harder to keep clean on the MTB - just clogs the chain links up. At least wet lube can be hosed off and re-applied.

A couple of weeks ago I'd not lubed the chain for about 3 rides (rides currently 10-20 miles off road), and the chain was creaking like mad. Unfortunately, I had to put up with it for 16 miles.

Lube and wipe the chain regular.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick tip. If inside of the links are getting dirty with a mix of oil and dirt, find a hex key of a similar size to the gap between the plates, and poke the dirt out. Then wipe, oil links, and wipe again.

Top Bottom