Is Lube Necessary During Summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Just buy a new chain each ride & get ones servant to fit it, after all he's the one turning the pedals on the tandem

Caperider

I like this stuff works its well . 523387

Ajax Bay

Guru

Jody

Stubborn git
I tried that stuff a few years ago. It was like someone dropped a hot candle onto the chain and seemed to do little to lubricate it.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Actually I think @nmfeb70 might be onto something here. Earlier on I wrote that I do live lube the chain.

But now revisiting this thread, it for me thinking about a new chain: if I have a new chain installed, I wait for as long as possible before cleaning and/or adding lube. So if your chain is clean and lines similar to a new chain (difficult to do I think) then I would leave it for as long as possible.

Oz Cycle on YouTube shows how to make your own home made wax for chain lubing. And also GCN Simon on yt uses, iirc, gt85 for both cleaning and lubing the chain. (I think it was gt85 or could have been something else).

Edit: typo

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
I never got the point of a wax for lubing. The basic idea behind a lube is a low viscosity to flow back after having been pushed away in the load cycle. A wax has a high viscosity so it just gets pushed out the first load cycle to never return. Where's the lubing then?

sheddy

Legendary Member
I believe some apply cream to their undercarriage in order to reduce friction.

Been loads of pollen here (very visible on the cars) mainly from the rape seed fields. Noticed on my Brompton that the chain and derailleur mech was very mucky with the stuff even after little use, seems anything dusty wants to stick to our drive trains:rolleyes:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I never got the point of a wax for lubing. The basic idea behind a lube is a low viscosity to flow back after having been pushed away in the load cycle. A wax has a high viscosity so it just gets pushed out the first load cycle to never return. Where's the lubing then?
The assumption that the wax gets pushed away isn’t necessarily valid. It’s possible the wax will remain as a layer between the surfaces, dependant on applied load and the wax’s properties. The same goes for oil.

At a microscopic level the wax will likely melt at surface asperity contact points where there is a local high temperature and form a fluid that lubricates and then sets as the pressure and temperature subside.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Some good tips on here in reply to my question. Following last night's ride I tried this method, I applied some GT85 to a rag and thoroughly cleaned the chain in sections of six inches, concentrating particularly on the rollers. This removed the grit and dust and left the chain gleaming. I then applied some TF2 all weather lube to the inner part of the rollers, wrapped a clean rag around it and rotated the chain anti-clockwise once.
The whole process took less than five minutes and the chain looks pristine. I'll give the bike it's weekly wash with w/u liquid (it is a degreaser after all?) and two handbushes (one for the chain & cogs to remove any excess lube).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@nmfeb70 excellent and sounds like a good result. As I said earlier that quick wipe works wonders after every ride. I lubed mine yesterday after two wet rides, it may or may not need doing again in a week or so.

The rag wipe is the opportunity to give the chain the very important quick check. For me maintaining a clean, properly lubed chain set is the single most important bit of regular maintenance.

Top Bottom