Is my bike to big for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Suggest you look at @raleighnut profile pic to get some context to his post.
Oi, I do ride some 2 wheelers as well,

CXRAndy

Guru
Traditionally, if you can sit on the saddle and have feet flat on the ground and just be able to fingertip reach the handlebars, its a perfect fit ;)

Now goes off to read first post ^_^

Edit, side on photo with pedal at bottom of rotation. You sat on bike might help :okay:

simongt

Guru
I'm 1.75m tall, my bike frames vary between 17" & 23" and they all fit fine with the caveat of correct seat & handlebar reach. They are variously MTB, road & tourer, so it also depends on what use you put the bike to.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I bought a Trek 7010 a few years ago, I knew zero about bike sizing, I used to think it was just a matter of lowering or rising the seat, my bike frame is 20" I'm 5' 7" tall, The bike has never seemed right for me, I'm alright when I'm riding along but stopping and start offs where a problem, I always thought I had a balance problem, I have the seat at the lowest setting, when I sit on the bike the toes of my feet barely touch the ground, is it me or should I get a smaller from bike.
The nearest I can find to the 7010 in their archive is the 7000 or 7100, does it resemble either of those? They evolved into what is now the Dual Sport. I could not find the geometry from back then I'd wager that the 20" is the equivalent of the 'Large' in the Dual Sport (Large has a 508mm seat tube =20"), which would give a relatively close indication to be of value; the large has a recommended height range of 5'8.9" to 6'1.2" inseam 32.3" to 34.6"
7000 from 2005

7100 from 2005
Dual Sport 1, current model

These two 20 " frame bikes at 5' 7" are for sure on the large side for someone of your height, but, these are bike fit friendly so you have a good chance of pushing boundaries interms of getting a bike that is slightly to large to work for you. Long and low race bikes they are not, by design they are short and high at the front so even if it is a bit big for you 'reach' to the bars should be achievable. With the saddle at the correct height to achieve the desired leg angle It's quite common that you can't quite touch the floor, these aren't bikes with low bottom brackets that allow for what is often referred to as flat feet technology where by you can touch down with both feet and still have the desired leg angle

In your case yes it may be a bit to big to be the perfect size bike but you have been using it for a few years and getting away with it as you seem to have got it close enough at the lowest setting; which I'd expect for a bike of that size and at your height. But, as you say "the bike has never seemed right for me", it will always be a bit of a compromise, which may a deal breaker to some and tolerable and perhaps not even an issue to others; your call really.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
What has always intruged me since I became aware of said criteria, is allegedly how a difference of 5mm. of crank length, seat tilt, reach, handlebar angle etc., etc. can apparently make so much difference to riding comfort. Back in't day, we knew nothing of such refinements but still loved our bikes - ! :rofl:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
What has always intruged me since I became aware of said criteria, is allegedly how a difference of 5mm. of crank length, seat tilt, reach, handlebar angle etc., etc. can apparently make so much difference to riding comfort. Back in't day, we knew nothing of such refinements but still loved our bikes - ! :rofl:
Yes indeed we did, but you'll be amazed how many older riders I bike fit.

I recall fitting an eighty year old a couple of years ago, he was treating himself to a Trek Domane as he was finding his Trek Madone a bit to harsh; understandable really. He has been perfectly happy with his 'bike fit' mind you, a position that he had enjoyed for years, yet to be thorough we checked it as it's is always a good idea to make sure the correct size bike is bought. Basing a new bike size using your current set up is valid but even more so if that current set up is the correct one. To reassure him I said what I always say, the correct bike fit is what you like, even if technicality it's wrong, providing you have no issues and you like it then that's perfect; we finish the fitting when you tell me that's where you want it.

I've just checked my records, in his case I raised the saddle 18mm, he tried it and instantly preferred it, 18mm is quite significant and it can effect what size bike is chosen. I can still recall him laughing and being cross at the same time, "years I've ridden like that Paul; I could have been an amazing rider :laugh:". Two years later he's still enjoying it, the last time I spoke to him he had reprogrammed his di2, something many find to daunting to attempt; Chapeau I say!

Eighty years old, up for embracing change, embracing technology and treating himself to a new bike, I confess I find moments like that rather lovely and very life affirming; I hope I'm like that when I am eighty:notworthy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom