Is my bike to big for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dansan

Regular
I bought a Trek 7010 a few years ago, I knew zero about bike sizing, I used to think it was just a matter of lowering or rising the seat, my bike frame is 20" I'm 5' 7" tall, The bike has never seemed right for me, I'm alright when I'm riding along but stopping and start offs where a problem, I aways thought I had a balance problem, I have the seat at the lowerest setting, when I seat on the bike the toes of my feet barely touch the ground, is it me or should I get a smaller from bike.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My toes don’t touch the ground with any of my bikes. It’s not really an indicator of correct size. As long as you don’t feel as if you’re too stretched out and in discomfort which might indicate it’s too big.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I bought a Trek 7010 a few years ago, I knew zero about bike sizing, I used to think it was just a matter of lowering or rising the seat, my bike frame is 20" I'm 5' 7" tall, The bike has never seemed right for me, I'm alright when I'm riding along but stopping and start offs where a problem, I aways thought I had a balance problem, I have the seat at the lowerest setting, when I seat on the bike the toes of my feet barely touch the ground, is it me or should I get a smaller from bike.
As @Mo1959 says, it really isn't a case of being able to touch the ground.
We could really do with a couple of photos of you on the bike to see the reach to the handlebars, how straight or bent your legs are when on the pedals, and how stretched out or upright you are sitting.

What do you mean by "seat at lowest setting"? The bike is designed for a good handful of exposed seatpost. How is the length or reach to bars?
Suggest a photo with your pedals at 6.00 and 9.00 position.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Sounds too big, around a 16”/17” frame would be your correct size for an MTB/Hybrid.

Edit-I’m not familiar with with the model you mention Trek 7010? If you have a road racing type bike with drop handlebars then a 20” frame should be ok.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm 5' 9" & a peanut... All my bike are either 20" or 21", I have one that is 22" & that really does feel too big! :angry:
depends if its a hybrid /mtb style they tend to have longer top tubes , im the same height as thr OP and rode 18 " hybrid but as others have said seat height should not be linked to if you can touch the floor when seated

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Based on the raw statistics of frame size and height I’d say it may be too big but you say you can barely touch the ground with your toes which sounds like it’s okay.
You should have the saddle so that with your foot on the pedal at the six o’clock position your leg is more or less straight.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can't touch the floor when seated on any of my bikes.

Unless you have a frame with a very low BB clearance, then its normal to not be able to touch the ground, or only barely with your toes pointed downwards.
The OP's bike sounds to be more or less correctly sized to me, they just have this incorrect notion that you should be able to sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the ground. If you can do that the bike is too small or the saddle set too low. The problem is the way the OP rides, not the bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Unless you have a frame with a very low BB clearance, then its normal to not be able to touch the ground, or only barely with your toes pointed downwards.
The OP's bike sounds to be more or less correctly sized to me, they just have this incorrect notion that you should be able to sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the ground. If you can do that the bike is too small or the saddle set too low. The problem is the way the OP rides, not the bike.

Suggest you look at @raleighnut profile pic to get some context to his post.

Top Bottom