Is my bike to small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

STEPHAN DAVIS

View: http://youtu.be/oX8guNcw_Oc
I have a real dilemma. I bought this bike from another CC member but i'm having a terrible problem with fit. I know a lot of you have already helped me with lots of advice but i still really don't know what to do. Its such a great bike and really highly spec'd i don't think i will be able to get anything like it for the same price if i was to sell it. On the other hand my knee is really starting to hurt and you can't put a price on your health and long term cycling.

Pauluk

Looks like a great bike to me, I wouldn't mind one like that if I were to have a road bike.

Is it just one knee that's playing you up. I assume you are you using clipless pedals?

Davehateshills

A little more detail is required such as how tall are you and what size is the bike? Also, where in your knee is the pain? is it at the back of your knee or is it at the front and sides. It would also be useful to know you inside leg measurement (to the floor) vs the measurement from the seat to the pedal (at it lowest point in its arc)

The problem may well be the way the bike is set up.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

This may sound like a odd question but i do feel like my right foot is pointing out slightly. I usually ride a Defy 5 (compact) and don't have the same feeling when riding that even though its the same size frame. At the moment i'm transferring pedals from one bike to another every time i change bikes.

Typhon

Its a 56cm frame and i'm 6'3" ish with a inside leg measurement of 34".

I'm 6'2" with an inside leg measurement of 31/32" and I ride a 60cm Triban 3. I did try the 57cm in store and it was noticeably too small. So I would say that in my albeit limited experience, it probably is too small for you I'm afraid.

However, you should be able to adjust the saddle to a point where you no longer experience knee pain. The bike may not be an ideal size but it's not as if you are riding a midget's bike.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I would have thought you could avoid knee pain with correct saddle height/position even if the frame was rather small and that youd just have problems with the bars being too close/low or something. The bike fit video looks like a very good starting point :smile:

I had left knee pain recently that i think was actually caused by my old knackered shoes on flat pedals.. they were so comfy i kept wearing them after my foot started coming out of the side :whistle:

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

If anyone hears of a decent touring bike large enough for a 6'3" bloke can you let me know. Budget around £500! If i can replace it with something just as good but larger it would make my decision so much easier.

Top Bottom