Is my bike to small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

People are always saying "It's easier to make a small bike bigger than the other way round" so can you not just get a longer seatpost, push the saddle back a bit and consider a longer stem? Provided that it meets the basic fit requirements, bingo. Moving the seatpost up would also move it backwards coz of the seat-tube angle, another option may be to flip the stem so it's parallel to the ground, if not already done, this could add a centimetre to the bike's reach.

On the specific pain, if it's one knee that's hurting, that doesn't sound like the bike's size is the issue, either the pedalling position on the right, or your knee itself, is the culprit?!

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

That sounds positive. I'm going to give it another week or two and see how it feels but am ready to try anything. What would be causing pain at the top of the knee? Seat too forward or too far back?

Cyclist33

Position of foot on pedal... What pedalling system are you using?

I'm no reflexologist but the feet have a lot to answer for! Imagine the pressure you're putting them under. I have found that using trainers on SPD pedals on longer rides, all the pressure of the pedal was concentrated just to the outside of the ball of my foot, so at the right place fore-aft-wise, but concentrating that pressure on one point with soft-soled shoes, gave me the pain above the knee you've described. Switching to cleats and road shoes has fixed that.

Stu

Cyclist33

I dunno. Not experienced enough - I still have mine at safest setting too!

You could try it... although I meant working on the actual location of the cleats on the shoes...

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

You're right but unfortunately i haven't got the money to get a 61 of the same spec so my dilemma is sell and take the money and wait till one comes up or get this one to work.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
With regard to your knee pain, it won't be the bike size.
It is most likely foot position with cleats, lots of people get it until they get the cleat position correct.
You say you are swapping the pedals between bikes, but are the bikes set up the same!
If your knee is at a slightly different angle on one bike, that could well be the cause.
Suggest you try riding it with ordinary flat pedals for a while & see if you still get knee pain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your options are to flip the stem so the bars are lower - this gives more reach - they look too high for my liking, but I'm of the ar$e up, bars slammed. But this will put strain on your back until you get used to it - i.e. you'll be going for a more 'race position'.

yes it's possible to put a longer stem - upto 140mm on and indeed seat posts.

Knee issues are usually saddle height related, position of foot on pedal (ball of foot directly over pedal) and the most likely issue is you have the angle of the cleat is wrong on the leg with the problem - i.e. it's rotated too far in or out so your ankle can't sit in it's natural position, forcing your knee to twist.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

I don't want to get my hopes up but moved cleats yesterday and its like riding a different bike. Hardly any knee pain today. Also levelled out seat properly with block of wood and spirit level as i was sliding forward a little.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BTW, do your cleats have any float? If not, might be worth trying some that do!

Obviously you don't want to pour money into something that is a no hoper, but would be nice if you could make it suit you, at least for some time to come.

If your foot positioning is only slightly out of line it plays havoc with your knees. It's like wearing shoes with worn down heels, it's not long before your knees, hips and back start to let you know you are out of line.
Sounds like you are on the right track now, good luck.:thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, some cleats allow your foot to rotate a few degree's without unclipping (called float), others lock your foot solid.

Top Bottom