Is my chain ring knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I have a bike fitted with an Shimano 8 Afline hub gears. I need to replace the chain however I am not sure if the rear sprocket needs replacing. What is the considered opinion? BTW I swopped the original 20 toothed for with one with 2 extras. I live on nasty steep hill!

IMG_1531.jpg

Thanks.

OldShep

Über Member
I have a bike fitted with an Shimano 8 Afline hub gears. I need to replace the chain however I am not sure if the rear sprocket needs replacing. What is the considered opinion? BTW I swopped the original 20 toothed for with one with 2 extras. I live on nasty steep hill!

View attachment 475036

Thanks.
1 it’s not a chain ring it’s a sprocket as you rightly describe.
2 depends how badly the chain was worn
3 I’d try it and see if it slips and if still slipping after 40 miles you need a new one.

Lee_M

Guru
Having had to have new teeth after my chain ring slipped and slammed me into the road face first I would suggest you change it. you really don't want to face plant for the sake of a few quid

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Apologies for calling it a chainring, it's clearly a sprocket. The chain is so badly knackered I needed to take a link out but because in a chain case all it's life it looks like new.

Top Bottom