Is my chain the on the wrong way (jockey wheels)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seigi

Hi there,

so, I've bought a used bike and I've noticed the chain is making a rubbing noise, the gears are indexed and change fine so I know the noise isn't coming from there, I've inspect the jockey wheels & cage up close, there is a little metal tab on the cage of the jockey wheels and I think the chain is rubbing against it.

I think the chain is the wrong side of the little tab which is causing the rubbing and the annoying noise, I've attached some pictures below so you can hopefully see what I mean:

2016-03-30 15.08.04.jpg
2016-03-30 15.07.54.jpg
2016-03-30 15.08.23.jpg

Kbrook

Veteran
Hard to work out from those pics from what I can see looks ok. The chain should run between the tab and the jockey wheel not on the outside of the tab.

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Kbrook said:
Hard to work out from those pics from what I can see looks ok. The chain should run between the tab and the jockey wheel not on the outside of the tab.

If it set up correctly, why would it be rubbing against it?

Nibor

Bewildered
As Kbrook says above, the chain should be running under the tab, not over the top of it. A common mistake, I've done it myself when fitting a chain in a hurry.
^+1 done this myself doesn't haqlf make a racket

should be under the tab in the first picture the chain wil then be straight bettween the Jocky wheels

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

^+1 done this myself doesn't haqlf make a racket

should be under the tab in the first picture the chain wil then be straight bettween the Jocky wheels

This is what I initially thought, so the chain needs rerouted so, from the angle in the first picture, you wouldn't be able to see the little tab?

Kbrook

Veteran
I'm still trying to fathom out the pictures. From what I can see the bottom jockey wheel looks ok, but I can't see the tab on the top,one which presumably means the chain is over it. For clarification you SHOULD be able to see the tab, ie the chain should not be hiding it by being the wrong side of it. This is of course if you look at it from above.

drummerbod

The chain if following the correct route shouldn't touch the tab at all. A mistake I made once and probably everyone has made at some point.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The chain should run in a straight line, leaving/joining each/both jockey wheels tangentially, rubbing on nothing between. Ask yourself what the tab is there for.

PS: I know you didn't route it like this, OP.

Top Bottom