Is my freewheel buggered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I haven't ridden my MTB for a while, but whilst doing it up this morning, I noticed that 2 driveside spokes and 1 non-driveside spoke have snapped at the neck by the hub.

Here comes the stupid part: I thought that I might be able to buy some spokes and do the wheel myself once I had removed the freewheel block. So, I follow Sheldon Brown's advice about putting the freewheel puller into a vice and rotating the wheel anti-clockwise. First, I had a go with an old 6-speed wheel and it just needed a bit of force. Ok I think; no problem here - so I reset the freewheel puller (actually just a splined cassette tool) and have a go with the 7-speed wheel. I kept turning and suddenly the wheel turned - unfortunately because my cassette tool has shattered into 4 pieces! Not being one to give up, I find another cassette tool and exactly the same thing happened! ;)

How can this happen? I have an MTB for 8 years and can get the block off easily, but one ridden for less than 18 months won't budge....can it be due to the enormous amount of torque I generate!?!?! (I like to think), or that the block may have been screwed on wrongly and cross-threaded. Bear in mind that it is a cheapo Decathlon bought in Italy.....I'm wondering whether the mechanic might have done something?
Thoughts anyone?

skwerl

is it a cassette or a screw-on freewheel block?

Probably a grease free interface twixt block and hub. If you are happy to sacrifice the freewheel to save the wheel use a pin spanner to disassemble it down to the block, then put the block itself in the vise to remove it.

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Skwerl - it's a screw-on block

mickle - I saw that on Sheldon Brown's site, but I'm also tempted to snip out the spokes and start again with a newer cassette hub

And save what? The rim? I wouldnt bother. Frankly you'd be better off buying a half decent complete wheel than rebuilding onto what is almost certainly an 'entry level' OE rim.

TimO

Guru
Not to mention that spokes are actually generally pretty tough, you would probably find it interesting trying to cut through an entire wheels worth.

Top Bottom