Is my made-over better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As clones have been mentioned, here's one I spotted for sale over this way
1591455828766.jpeg

And a link here: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/la-bicycle-folding-bike-neo-stage-203-16-3-speed-i128103255-
s135297171.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.602810b4yb8oEL&search=1

Is it a viable contender? - I'll let you decide.

roley poley

Über Member
View attachment 527899
And a link here: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/la-bicycle-folding-bike-neo-stage-203-16-3-speed-i128103255-

looked it up and the auto translate for the reviews is a scream best chuckle I have for days and if you are a Thai reading the Brompton site I hope your auto translate does the same for you

u_i

Über Member
That's quite worrying U-I especially hinge clamp bolt snapping as I feel mine are due for replacement after 18 years service and don't want this critical part to fail ON ANYONE.... you mention aftermarket parts ..are they from Brompton ? Did you complain ? Rogerzilla also mentions poorly assembled and non lube in this thread so what is happening to quality control overall ....(sorry if I have gone off topic a bit but it is a safety issue pull me back in line any time you like )

No, none of these replacement parts were from Brompton, but the above have been quite typical experiences when diving into parts that others manufactured for Brompton. I just mention this to illuminate the issue that when you operate within the realm of relatively safe environment of responsible manufacturing and look at other options that look shiny and are more lightweight and maybe cheaper, you think why not, but they can turn quite sour in practice. I speak up after losing my own money to gain these experiences.

Are all aftermarket parts bad? No, but you roll the dice when you go there. Most are actually more expensive than the original, claiming to be superior. This is not the case with 3Sixty - their products usually cost similar. I once wrote to them asking whether the particular component is supposed to work better and they wrote back that just about the same. I.e., at least they did not make inflated claims, but I have not tried anything from them in practice. Am I eager to do so? Not really, but I will gladly hear about experiences of others there, particularly about practical everyday use - very bad associations there with Facebook photos in the context of the aftermarket parts.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The only aftermarket replacement mine has is the saddle and the front hub, because you can't get cheesier than the standard hub. Mine was even drilled eccentrically so the flanges visibly wobbled (it was still possible to build a true wheel!).

looked it up and the auto translate for the reviews is a scream best chuckle I have for days and if you are a Thai reading the Brompton site I hope your auto translate does the same for you
Thai is one of the more difficult languages for translation software. The bike itself, on the surface anyways, looks to be a bargain for around 150 quid, but without proper reviews in English it would be gamble purchase.

Gunk

Guru
The only aftermarket replacement mine has is the saddle and the front hub, because you can't get cheesier than the standard hub. Mine was even drilled eccentrically so the flanges visibly wobbled (it was still possible to build a true wheel!).

The only cheap Chinese bit on mine is the £7 luggage block which seems to be fine. The Chinese stuff is a gamble and some of it is shocking quality whilst some of it is OK, the problem is that none of it has a quality stamp such as the German TÜV standard and most of it wouldn’t meet the UK BS-EN standard. So would I want a shiny Chinese main hinge bolt on my Brompton, no thanks.

Kell

Veteran
I think with all those replacement/non-OEM parts you have to decide whether or not to buy based on what role they play.

Hinge bolts and the like I would definitely not go after-market, but shiny bits that would not have an impact on me or the bike if they failed, maybe.

I've changed a few things on my bike, but most have been for different Brompton parts. The exceptions being the handle bars (Ritchey) and the pedals (Shimano) - both companies I trust. Probably more so than Brompton if I'm honest.

Kell

Veteran
View attachment 527899

I would say that such a slack head angle means it would feel very short when ridden. I can imagine my knees hitting the handlebars on that. Even the modern, longer Bromptons feel short - that looks ridiculously so.

Having said that, it may be more suited to smaller people.

Top Bottom