Is my middle chainring ok ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Con

Über Member
View attachment 467863 View attachment 467863 Hi I've just been cleaning my bike and noticed my middle chain ring is a lot more worn than the other 2 do you think it needs changing or will it be ok for a while. Also I seem to live in the middle one and was thinking of going 2x instead of 3x with something like 36-28 or 38- 28 I'm currently running 3× 42-32-24 and can get up all but the steepest hills in the middle and only use the top on the road going down steep hills so I'd probably use both rings a bit more . So I it just a case of swapping the chain rings and adjusting the limit on the front derailleur or is it a bit more complicated ?

OP
OP
Con

Con

Über Member
Oops duplicate post... new phone sorry

The middle ring is designed in such a way to be able to shift both up and down, unlike the other 2. That’s what looks odd, it’s fine.

Reactions: Con
OP
OP
Con

Con

Über Member
Bit worn but not excessively so as the 'shorter' teeth are deliberate and are to aid shifting, wear occurs more at the 'root' of the gear tooth not the top as much.
Thanks for clearing that up I was wondering why some looked more worn than others. I'm more used to motorbikes and if my sprocket looked like that it would be going straight in the bin.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Since the shifting shapes on the teeth can be misleading, I prefer to look for a sharks fin profile to indicate a chain ring is getting worn out.

As above, yours looks good for a nice while yet.

It's a personal thing but if you haven't ridden a double much before then try before you buy - I hate double cranks on a MTB, always seem to be cross chained or going from end to end of the cassette when changing at the front. On a triple I mostly live in the middle like you - all the benefits of a trendy 1x set up but you've got the granny and big ring when you want them

Reactions: Con
Top Bottom