Is my pc toast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
? It freezes on loading win 10 .Tried doing a hard reset 3 times but cant get the recovery tool to load, burned a recovery disk which also freezes when it loads .

Tried another disk with xp on it which also freezes on loading windows.

Stumped , was working fine till yesterday .

Could be a Hard Disk failure. Can you run any diagnostic tools to check the disk?

If you tried a second separate hard drive, it's not drive related. Reseat memory and cables, with it fully disconnected from power. Then give it a blast. Clean out cpu fan if possible. If it's a laptop, it's possible to blow through the vents with your mouth. Do not breathe in again before removing mouth from vent.
DAMHIKT...

? It freezes on loading win 10 .Tried doing a hard reset 3 times but cant get the recovery tool to load, burned a recovery disk which also freezes when it loads .

Tried another disk with xp on it which also freezes on loading windows.

Stumped , was working fine till yesterday .
I suspect Windows 10 is the problem.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had something similar happen to me. I downloaded Ubuntu and used that as the operating system rather than Windows. It enabled me to get my files off the hard disk and onto memory sticks. You'll need another computer to download Ubuntu onto a CD. You can then try booting from the CD. More clever people than me can give you more details.

Reactions: C R

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Does it offer you the chance of logging in on safe mode with command (I think it's that), or maybe just safe mode. If so, once in there. open up a command box. You can do this by pressing the windows key and 'R' together, then typing cmd. You can open command boxes other ways too. Then type sfc/scannow, or type chkdsk /r. If you have a corrupt disk, it may fix it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Tried booting in safe mode?
What has changed since yesterday?

Hard disks failing usually give a few clues rather just working then not.

Does it offer you the chance of logging in on safe mode with command (I think it's that), or maybe just safe mode. If so, once in there. open up a command box. You can do this by pressing the windows key and 'R' together, then typing cmd. You can open command boxes other ways too. Then type sfc/scannow, or type chkdsk /r. If you have a corrupt disk, it may fix it.
win 10 ....
tries to load diagnostic tools to allow you to do checks and fails
win xp hdd..
choose safe mode from boot by pressing f8 then fails when loading OS

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

going to try a ubuntu live cd as apparantly you can do repairs from there, may even install it on xp hdd then make a dual boot system if i can get it going

I do have a win 10 laptop which is fine to make discs , tried mking recovery disk from this and via MS website but no joy

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Doesn't sound like the hdd if you are unable boot xp from a separate hdd. Have you checked the ram and video card are firmly in place and haven't come loose? Either of those can also cause startup to fail.

Ram and video will both error earlier, hard disk failures don't always show obvious symptoms and will quite often error during windows diagnosis. I think when Cyberknight talked about another disk, he meant Windows XP CD or at least that's how i read it, happy to be corrected.

Booting Ubuntu from disk will allow you to run some checks on the hard disk without installing it.

Top Bottom