Is pedal strike a reality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
im building a fixed but it can run a freewheel so think il use that as I'm just scared about pedal strike on kerbs and stuff , any comments / reassuring ( or not ) lol

Go on give me your fixed mishaps

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Go around corners slower :smile:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Your typo makes the surveyor in me chuckle! Never hit a pedal myself. Far more likely is the forgetting you have to keep pedalling on roundabouts. That leads to the boot up your bum. How long are the cranks?

andyfraser

Über Member
I have, when going way too fast round a tight corner and pedalling. I came straight off. It's not happened on a fixed gear yet though.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I did it the other week taking a tight turn rather fast, but it wasn't really a big deal. It felt like it wasn't even the pedal that struck, it was the side or the sole of my show that scuffed the road.

Never had a problem with kerbs, but I try not to get so close to the kerb that my pedal is over it anyway

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
170 mm crank arms , and Iv rode fixed but it's gen on the velodrome , it's out in real world with bollards pavements corners and slow speed control that I'm thinking about

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Yeah but Iv been squeezed into kerb before Ba cars and stuff and had to freewheel and " lift " the pedal over the kerb ( obv on fixed it would have struck kerb and a whole world of trouble

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I only ride my fixed in open country. But then again the spindly pipe cleaners that pass as my legs means I have the sort of stopping distance usually associated with shipping.

Why not get a flip flop hub? You could cover anything then.

D

Deleted member 1258

My fixed has been my commuter and winter bike for years and I've not found it a problem myself. Though I did have a touch the other weekend, but I was exploring the handling limit's of my new Genesis Flyer on a fast twisty country lane at the time. ^_^

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have had the odd pedal strike, a couple of times on fixed and once that I can remember on gears. Never come off because of it, just a bit of a hop and skip on the bend.

I only had it a couple of times when using an old road (not fixed-specific) frame with a low bottom bracket (designed for 27" wheels and running 700c). Never had it on my current bike - I try to avoid going up/down kerbs but it's not a problem if I have to.

Top Bottom