Is Philosophy Still A Thing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
OK, I'm going to put in a plea for Frank Ramsey.........who some say, got Wittgenstein to change his mind from his Tractatus period to his Philosophical Investigations period.

Ramsey was probably the cleverest philosopher/mind that the UK ever had. At the age of 17 he would argue probability with John Maynard Keynes and translated Tractatus from German into English. At secondary school he got interested in German philosophy and taught himself German in two weeks so he could read the originals.

He also made major contributions to economics.

He died aged 26 in 1930.......(according to some) of leptospirosis having caught it from swimming in the Cam. Here's a great article:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/04/the-man-who-thought-too-fast

What a great title for a piece - The Man Who Thought Too Fast. If ever I get an obit, it'll be titled The Man Who Thought Too Slow.

This is why I love having Germans around :wub:

However at the same time.... Overthinking can be a curse.:sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
1631777176107.png

The brilliant Randall Munro updated by an unknown hand.

(Years ago I got a maths and philosophy degree. Without philosophy maths, and therefore science, is foundationless.)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A sociologist, a biologist, a physicist and a mathematician are on a train for their first visit to Scotland. As they cross the border, there's a black sheep in a field.
"Oh look, Scottish sheep are black" says the sociologist.
The biologist rolls their eyes and says "some Scottish sheep are black".
The physicist rolls their eyes, tuts, and says "there's at least one field in Scotland which contains black sheep.
The mathematician rolls their eyes, tuts and stands up in exasperation saying "there is at least one field in Scotland, which contains at least one sheep, one side of which is black!"
Accuracy is all.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Always thought it would be incredible to look at the Earth from space... dominated by man and his petty destructive forces on the surface, yet quietly going round the sun in the big wide universe covered in green and blue and white.

Makes you think doesn't it...

Dolorous Edd

A sociologist, a biologist, a physicist and a mathematician are on a train for their first visit to Scotland. As they cross the border, there's a black sheep in a field.
"Oh look, Scottish sheep are black" says the sociologist.
The biologist rolls their eyes and says "some Scottish sheep are black".
The physicist rolls their eyes, tuts, and says "there's at least one field in Scotland which contains black sheep.
The mathematician rolls their eyes, tuts and stands up in exasperation saying "there is at least one field in Scotland, which contains at least one sheep, one side of which is black!"
Accuracy is all.

This reminds me of the one about the economist asked to count the total number of sheep in two fields. In one field there was a really large flock of sheep; in another, there was a single sheep, all on its own.

The economist confidently reported a total of 101 sheep, explaining. "well there's about 100 sheep in this field, and 1 sheep in that field".

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When I ask Mrs A_T, the scientist, how a lump of meat can not only be alive in the first place but have conscious thoughts and do such incredible things independently... she doesn't know,
"It just does".

Top Bottom