Is racing on the road illegal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been wondering for some time if racing a push bike on the road is illegal.

Leaving sportive rules aside, if say, six cyclists start from point A at the same time and race to point B, what laws are broken?

It may be I'm confusing official disinterest/blind eye turning with legality, but apart from an arcane charge such as 'wanton and furious riding', I can't immediately think what laws the group of riders in my example would be breaking.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if say, six cars/mortorcycles/lorries/white vans/dog carts/pony and traps/runners/greyhounds/horses start from point A at the same time and race to point B, what laws are broken?

shortone

A set of signs inforcing a court order to prevent car cruising and racing on the road has had to be put on our industrial estate (Hams Hall, Coleshill). Up until the court action the police could only move them on and give them tickets for the iliegal mods on there cars.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
No. Nobody wins a club ride
Tell that to some members :whistle:

Trickedem

Guru
A fast paced dash to the breakfast cafe on a FNRTTC could be construed as racing in some eyes. There is even a prize for the winner

Kookas

Über Member
What is racing?

Speeding laws don't apply to bikes, so if you, in your racing, hit 40mph in a 30, the cops can't do much unless there is a bylaw.

You'll have to stop at red, which will kill your buzz a bit, but so will all the other riders.

How would the council know a group of cyclists were 'racing' and not just commuting quickly within close proximity of each other?

D

Deleted member 1258

Isnt a club ride effectively a race? After all, you are all highly paced and cycling together to get from point A to point A?

I've done some club runs that have had me wondering. From what club members have told me about what goes into organizing the club TT's it sounds like theres a lot of paperwork, risk assessments etc, but once you've gone through that its ok.

Top Bottom