Is remote lockout useful (as against normal lockout)??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My poploc stopped working reliably, and as I rode more and more off road I decided I wasn't missing it. I can reach down and lock the fork or simply pedal in a way that stops the fork from bobbing on 9 climbs out of 10. So, no, I wouldn't say it was vital.
oh you smoothy:thumbsup:

Dunlopdave

Further to my quest to understand forks:ohmy:
A LBS tells me remote lockout only comes with "more expensive" forks and is (in his opinion) of no real use.
Can anyone with/without remote give me an informed opinion ?
Thanks
I've got remote on my cube hybrid,I love it.Its not one of the things I was particularly after but I wouldn't be without it now!!!

remote is when it's on the handlebars.The switch is just between the grip and shifters

Not Always ! mine is on the top of the stem for the Cannondale Ultra Fatty Headshock system

IMG_0891.jpg

F5.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 53
  • F5.jpg
    F5.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 53

lukesdad

Further to my quest to understand forks:ohmy:
A LBS tells me remote lockout only comes with "more expensive" forks and is (in his opinion) of no real use.
Can anyone with/without remote give me an informed opinion ?
Thanks
Using both lockout and lockout forks (although not remote lockout) I find off road I only use it on fire roads, dont miss it when its not avaiable though. As cubist has said adapting your riding style you can ride without bob. I do however find it usefull on the rear end, although I know thats not what you were asking. If you are doing a lot of tarmac miles I would say it would be a usefull addition. As for adjustable seat height.....well thats what your legs are for ^_^

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I take it you do know what you use lockout for do you ?

I think he meant whether it's remote or not, though that specific fork setup looks a little different anyway. As in I could imagine liking an extension to put the lockout control on the bars but can't see the point to put it somewhere you need to take a hand off to access.

MacB

Well lets put it this way, you dont have to use the control on the rough do you ?

It's not that, I thought he meant that if you're getting remote lockout then put it by your hands and not on/around the stem. Unless you're doing that then it's not worth getting RML.

As to whether remote lockout is needed or not, I don't know I've not got it but I do like gadgets :biggrin:

lukesdad

It's not that, I thought he meant that if you're getting remote lockout then put it by your hands and not on/around the stem. Unless you're doing that then it's not worth getting RML.

As to whether remote lockout is needed or not, I don't know I've not got it but I do like gadgets :biggrin:
Doesn t matter where the control is if you dont switch on rough as you should nt and you re just a gadget perv ^_^

MacB

If you cant control a bike whilst flicking a switch by the stem then you really should'nt be riding one

Jeez, are you lot hard of understanding on here!!!!!

I would only consider getting a remote lockout switch that was by my hand

If the option was a switch somewhere else, such as the stem, then I'd just as soon stick to the top of the fork switch

I really didn't think it was that hard to understand :banghead:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since we all seem to have far too much time on our hands, the question is whether a lockout is a remote lockout when it is on the forks (well it is sitting on top of the steerer and the steerer is part of the forks innit)? :whistle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Jeez, are you lot hard of understanding on here!!!!!

I would only consider getting a remote lockout switch that was by my hand

If the option was a switch somewhere else, such as the stem, then I'd just as soon stick to the top of the fork switch

I really didn't think it was that hard to understand :banghead:
I knew what you meant MacB.

Top Bottom