Is road.cc just click bait trash?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
A couple of facebook cycling groups i frequent has seen an upturn in the amount of people posting links to the alledged journalistic cycling website mentioned in the thread title. Am i missing something or is it a clone of the daily fail & (insert your city/county).live type site that is popoulated with spurious headlines, poorly researched articles & further reading links all of which is wall papered with adverts?

Drago

Legendary Member
It's the Daily Mail for cyclists, but somehow worse.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't find it worse than many other sites tbh.. sadly clickbait titles, poor quality and recycled content are increasingly present across much published "free" media due to dwindling funding. I notice even many local online rags have also started restricting content / passing round the begging bowl.

Not good news for what boils down to a neccessity to maintain free speech and hold our scumbag overlords to account.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It’s dreadful, as the OP say’s clickbait garbage.

The ‘reporting’ is lazy, poorly researched (if at all), some of it looks as though it’s been copied and pasted. Don’t even get me started on that feckin awful Near Miss of the Day thing. For fecks sake give it a feckin rest.

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I think it used to be better, still does some of the most thorough reviews on the web IMO, completely agree on clickbait and recycled articles

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Should people be more vigilant before reposting garbage?
Devonlies is our local online tat, a haven of mispelling, misleading headlines & genera bulls**t.
The spurious ads breaks all the rules
- Yes i was born between 1950 & 1980, no i'm not in for a treat this week
- Funeral prices are not rising sharply as you claim, they've always been extortionate
- People in my area are not losing 15kgs in a week with your snake oil diet shakes

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As is the case in most of the publishing industry these days, they need to get the clicks to get paid, as their primary source of income is ad-revenue and perhaps less so these days sales of branded merchandise, so they'll publish whatever gets eyeballs, so if you could all stop clicking on the clickbait articles that would help. :surrender: *(I can't define what is or isn't clickbait, you have to decide what you want to see, and only click on that!)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Dave, who is part of Road.cc, also runs the Exmouth Exodus and is a good bloke. They emerged after the meltdown of Future Publishing.

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Dave, who is part of Road.cc, also runs the Exmouth Exodus and is a good bloke. They emerged after the meltdown of Future Publishing.
That ride looks fun, how does the body cope on overnight rides?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That ride looks fun, how does the body cope on overnight rides?
I suspect that is down to the individual. The Exodus generally has food stops along the way, and it's only 100 miles, so you're not out for a huge length of time.
If you want longer, ride my Exeter-London 400, from St David's Station to Marylebone (not till next year now, unfortunately). 12 noon start, 254 miles.

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
I suspect that is down to the individual. The Exodus generally has food stops along the way, and it's only 100 miles, so you're not out for a huge length of time.
If you want longer, ride my Exeter-London 400, from St David's Station to Marylebone (not till next year now, unfortunately). 12 noon start, 254 miles.
I've not done an imperial century before, that would be right on the extent of my capabilities. I was due to have a go at the 'Nello' imperial 100 route up over Exmoor in a couple of weeks, but we've decided to do the metric 100 route instead in a small group.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've not done an imperial century before, that would be right on the extent of my capabilities. I was due to have a go at the 'Nello' imperial 100 route up over Exmoor in a couple of weeks, but we've decided to do the metric 100 route instead in a small group.
Marc's Nello is pretty much what we did today (plus riding the the start & home). I got about 125 miles, the most I've done since lock-down.
Riding with company helps distract you from the distance ;)

Top Bottom