Is road cycling most popular in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I reckon that the UK might have the highest proportion of cyclists per head than any other country. Cycling is popular in other European countries as well, but I think that the road cycling culture has really taken hold in the UK compared to other countries. And outside of Europe, cycling is nowhere near as popular. Discuss/disagree.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I reckon we're not even in the top 10.

And I would be amazed if we are even anywhere near that. Based on my unscientific observations elsewhere in the EU, Africa and USA.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Do Holland have the same cycling club culture as us though?
In my humble opinion that might depend on what type of road cycling you mean. I have been there quite a few times but not for some 8 years. The normal roads seemed crammed with hoards of 'sit up & beg/Dutch style/flat bar cyclists. The roads are geared up for them........unlike here. Over here you seem to get the occasional cyclist that uses it for his/her daily trip to the shops etc.
If on the other hand you mean drop bar cyclists that go out for 30/50/100 mile jaunts........I have no idea :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It would be interesting to hear what @Shut Up Legs has to say.
My perception is that despite the anti cyclist rhetoric that you hear coming from Australia, Road/Club cycling sees to be very popular.

I would argue that mountain biking is more popular in the UK, there are many many people who'll load their bike up and head to the peak district, wales or the lakes etc to go ride, myself included.

my town has two cycle clubs based near it and hosts an annual hill climb event, but I see more mountain bikes being ridden through town than road bikes (I'm not counting bike shaped objects)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Looking for data on cycling as a sport rather than for transport I came up with this:
bikesale.jpg

This is from: https://ecf.com/sites/ecf.com/files/CONEBI market report analysis 2016.pdf

I think it shows that the UK has a high number of sales per head of population, but a low figure for cycling as main mode of transport. So eitehr, we have a huge n+1 success or we buy bikes for leisure/sport rather than transport.

Tim Hall

Looking for data on cycling as a sport rather than for transport I came up with this:
View attachment 412706

This is from: https://ecf.com/sites/ecf.com/files/CONEBI market report analysis 2016.pdf

I think it shows that the UK has a high number of sales per head of population, but a low figure for cycling as main mode of transport. So eitehr, we have a huge n+1 success or we buy bikes for leisure/sport rather than transport.

I guess that includes data for children's bikes and bike shaped objects from sports direct (the wife won't go anywhere near that shop with me as I take the mick out of the bikes / want to fix them) the latter of which will be bought mid-summer, ridden once or twice before being consigned to the shed, dragged out a as spring cleaning 9 months later, put on freecycle and a replacement bought later in the summer and so the cycle continues (pun not intended)

Top Bottom