Is she, or isn't she ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Interview at dinnertime was saying how Adrian Moorhouse bettered his PB by over 4 seconds in one season

Quite so and didn't Ian Thorpe gain something like 4 or 5 seconds over his personal best at a similar age.

It's a sad fact that doping has played a huge part in helping athletes gain an advantage for years that when something is achieved with nothing but genuine talent, hard work and dedication, it's difficult to know the truth.

I say give her the credit she is due.

subaqua

What’s the point
Interview at dinnertime was saying how Adrian Moorhouse bettered his PB by over 4 seconds in one season

my eldest daughter took 7 seconds off her PB in this seasons Gala. thats when she had not long turned 10. i haven't timed her this year as i don't push her, just encourage. thats the clubs job. she also swam her last length inthe gala faster than the U17 champ did based on splits. but thats what she does. paces till the end then blasts it. ( sounds a bit like Cav ) should i get a doping test done on her??

I think not.... testing has reached such a level now that any athlete would be mad to try.

Oh I don't know. Apparently quite a few blood samples from Athens are being retested with modern tests and showing evidence of doping in samples measured to be clean at the time. The ability to test always lags the drugs

sunnyjim

Apart from personal medical dangers , I don't see what's wrong with drugs. If you want to see how far a human can push, why not?
If cabbage or lucozade improved performance it wouldn't be banned, so why not other substances? The manufacturers would be clamoring to sponsor athletes taking their stuff, and it could hardly be worse than encouraging the general populace to consume coca cola or junkburgers.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I remember a story about steroids a few years ago. Pro Boxer Bob Hazleton.

Thought he needed to gain weight. Built himself up, really impressive, apart from the roid rage etc and till one of his calves 'blew up'. It had to be amputated at the knee. Obviously this stopped him.
Nah
They were interviewing him as a double amputee. He carried on and exactly the same thing happened to his other leg.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The problem is it wouldn't be about choice. They reckon the power/bodyweight ratio of the TDF climbing a few years ago was theoretically impossible. It's now lower, and within theoretical limits. So to effectively compete, in a field where drugs are allowed, you HAVE to dope to have a chance.

byegad

Legendary Member
She's innocent until proven guilty is what she is, isn't she?
Too right and unless they've come up with something totally untraceable, If that's the case some time down the road she'll be found out.
Personally I think she may just have developed as she gets older, hence the sudden improvement reported by the male swimmer interviewed on BBC tv on this subject.

Benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyone who is genuinely interested in this subject should read the Science Of Sport blog. And David Millar's book. That is my only serious contribution to this thread. Beyond that, I reserve my right to be whimsical and cynical.

d.
I've read Millar's book, having read lots on the subject I'd say it is a very partial and very partisan account of things, and not very well written either. I'm also familiar with the blog your refer to and find the comments of other people on there to be just as informative as the actual posts by "the sports scientists"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh I don't know. Apparently quite a few blood samples from Athens are being retested with modern tests and showing evidence of doping in samples measured to be clean at the time. The ability to test always lags the drugs
I'd like to see the medal ceremonies for London 2012 taking place at Rio 2016 for just that reason.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I've read Millar's book, having read lots on the subject I'd say it is a very partial and very partisan account of things, and not very well written either.

I'm not claiming it's a great work of literature, nor that it's a definitive study of doping in sport - it's a personal account of an individual's experiences, therefore it's necessarily partial and partisan.

The suggestion that it's worth reading was in direct response to the OP's comment that "testing has reached such a level now that any athlete would be mad to try". I just think anyone who holds that view would benefit from reading Millar's account of his own experiences. (Lest we forget, Millar never actually failed a test.)

I'm also familiar with the blog your refer to and find the comments of other people on there to be just as informative as the actual posts by "the sports scientists"

Yes, I agree that some of the comments are interesting and informative too.

d.

Top Bottom