Is she, or isn't she ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think not.... testing has reached such a level now that any athlete would be mad to try.
My son (who is a competitive swimmer - although far from Olympic standard) says it's obvious, not just from the time recorded in the 400 IM but also the way she swam - she just didn't look to be tiring at all.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member

lb81

1.72m tall, 64kg (according to Wikipedia)
Small compared with Missy Franklin (also very successful young swimmer): 1.85m, 75 kg

Fair point but i meant more that she is very very muscular compared to her direct peers. Missy Franklin is very tall and obviously having never seen either of them in the flesh i can only build my perception based on the tv pictures.

Dont get me wrong. I think its unfortunate that somone puts in such a dominant performance and is instantly being accused or having it suggested that they are doping. But then sport at the very top level only has its self to blame and China do not have the best track record...!

lordloveaduck

It's like the female runner who was told she has to have a gender test.
Tragic considering the states have been the most doped team at the limpics.
The girl done good let her have her moment.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The US is getting incredibly upset about the medals table and wants to beat China really badly this year (last time they thought themselves the moral victors as they had more medals). Either on number of medals outright or ranking them by gold first they are likely to get beaten by China this time.

If you take that context aside, China does have a bad doping swimming record in the past, but the US has not exactly never had a doper either I'm afraid.

I suppose it's a bit of an odd world when old Colin Moynihan, not the most pleasant of blokes or one without vendettas or personal grudges is wheeled out to defend this very talented swimmer.

Arsen Gere

Über Member

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't know if she doped or not and I know feck all about swimming other than thrashing up and down like a bloke who's just found out there's a shark in the pool. However, it's a little disingenuous or naive for the twat Moynihan to say she isn't 'prepared' because she passed the drugs test. If cycling has taught us anything, it's that passing tests is not always an indicator of a clean athlete.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you take that context aside, China does have a bad doping swimming record in the past, but the US has not exactly never had a doper either I'm afraid.

The first thought that crossed my mind when I heard this story is that it's just sour grapes from the US coach because his drugs haven't worked as well as theirs, and he knows the Chinese woman must be on the sauce because it would be impossible for a clean swimmer to have beaten his own doped-up athletes.

(NB I'm playing devil's advocate here and being wilfully cynical, not making direct accusations.)

d.

on the road

Über Member
The Americans might have a point;), because afterall they all know about drug taking. How many of their athletes took performance enhancing drugs in the past?

Top Bottom