Is taking protein shakes ok before and after a long bike ride??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theguru

I have protein shake that says perfect got before and after exercise but is it beneficial?? some some say on forums just before but alot say just after but no one mentions before and after..does do any harm?.. Does the legs still grow...

Just need advice on whats best

Ness

Unless you're competing or you're also a bodybuilder, I'd ignore the marketing people and get all of your protein from food. It's a lot cheaper.
If you're already eating 3 whole chickens and 4 tins of tuna a day and physically can't get any more solid food inside you, then I'd start considering supplements. Until you get to that point you don't need it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have protein shake that says perfect got before and after exercise but is it beneficial?? some some say on forums just before but alot say just after but no one mentions before and after..does do any harm?.. Does the legs still grow...

Save your money! As for the bold part, LMFAO!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Unless you're competing or you're also a bodybuilder, I'd ignore the marketing people
What marketing people?

and get all of your protein from food. It's a lot cheaper.
It isn't really.

Until you get to that point you don't need it.
How do you know for sure the OP isn't?

Before is pointless. After is one of those pain in the arse arguments that everyone with zero clue chimes in on.

Simple answer is try it and see. You can buy samples from most decent places that will save bulk buying of 500g or more. (bulkpowders/myprotein)

OP
OP
T

theguru

Protein has been proven to be beneficial especially for the muscles that is fact not fiction..I have been cycling for some time now and I have been taking it before and after...as for legs grow part it was a question in the fact that lower part of my legs don't seem to perhaps it's that fact I only do long cycles not often enough I only do 16-20 miles 3 or 4 times a week and only been doing it on and off for a year or so other than that just short ones but I have found my legs do not hurt at all taking it before and after the long cycles

AndyPeace

The benifit of protien shakes for cyclist's is debated. If you do a long or intense ride it may be of benifit but for the average ride it will do little. Most cyclists can easily eat suficient protien in there day to day meals. It is recomended that you get 1-1.5g of protien per kg of body weight. Rather than drink shakes you'd be better off planning out a menu that forfilled this need.
It is also generally agreed that you need to eat within an hour of finishing exersice to get the full benfit of your training.

This was a useful article I read http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/

ayceejay

Guru
If we assume that the OP is just an ordinary (non professional) cyclist who eats a balanced diet and sleeps well then no supplementation is needed although emergency anti bonk food should come along on every ride just in case. Vitamin pills protein powders and the like can solve a deficiency problem otherwise the main difference is in urine colour.
If on the other hand the objective is to have awesome legs do squats and eat 12 chicken breasts a day.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Protein has been proven to be beneficial especially for the muscles that is fact not fiction.
I think you need to do a little research on protein.

I have been cycling for some time now and I have been taking it before and after..
Before pointless - after is going to be debated until the cows come home

as for legs grow part it was a question in the fact that lower part of my legs don't seem to
In reality, cycling causes very little muscle hypertrophy.

perhaps it's that fact I only do long cycles not often enough I only do 16-20 miles 3 or 4 times a week and only been doing it on and off for a year or so other than that just short ones but I have found my legs do not hurt at all taking it before and after the long cycles
As above - hypertrophy from cycling is limited. At that distance, there's no real reason protein intake can't be done without shakes.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
my process is when i finish a cycle over 30 miles, I will have something suger rich to give my body a quick spike, then 20 mins later have a 500ml protein shake.

at the end of the day, best thing to do is try various combos, and see what works best for you. if your diet is too high in protein, it can do damage to organs. id not do the before, as will sap energy as body breaks down proteins, rather than give you energy to ride. just my opinion. you may want your body working double time

Ness

I don't work in marketing, nor am I here to sell anything. But feel free to avoid everything else.

lol, just lol

I'm glad that tickled you.

If the OP is going to waste money on supplements, then at least it would be beneficial to waste money on stuff that's going to actually work. Protein powder won't make your legs grow. Steroids will.
I don't advocate the use of PEDs but then I'm not against them either. Each to their own.

I do however think that it's unhelpful and ignorant to recommend something that is not going to work. Food supplementation is just that. A supplement. To use when you're at such a high level of sports performance that solid food isn't enough and you physically can't stomach the quantities of food required to provide the needed nutrients.
Solid food is cheaper because it provides so many of the nutrients that aren't found in protein supplements. Add in the cost of tablets or powders to replace those nutrients, and you're looking at a ridiculous amount of money.
It's only people who have fallen victim to the marketing machine (as I was referring to) who recommend supplements. They have absolutely no place in the diet of the average active person.
Don't get me wrong, I was once a gullible person who bought all the latest proteins and BCAAs and Creatine and anabolic boosters etc etc. While I was taking them, I thought they were great.
On reflection though, it was all in my head. Psychosomatic. I should have saved my money and bought proper food.

Lol

OP
OP
T

theguru

Ok thanks all I think I will go through a phase of just trying it after..it is tricky because there are various opinions on what is best and a certain famous brand won't name names but it does say perfect before and after ..strange

T.M.H.N.E.T

If the OP is going to waste money on supplements, then at least it would be beneficial to waste money on stuff that's going to actually work. Protein powder won't make your legs grow. Steroids will.
You are actually so wrong I feel sorry for you. Protein is the building block of all muscle fibre. Exercise tears these fibres. The issue is actually the sport undertaken as cycling isn't a major promoter of muscular hypertrophy.

So actually - protein (regardless of source) will contribute to muscle fibre repair or indeed growth (therefore legs) but it depends how you train them.,

I don't advocate the use of PEDs but then I'm not against them either. Each to their own.
Protein is not a PED. Strange that you mention steroids do work though.

I do however think that it's unhelpful and ignorant to recommend something that is not going to work.
Much like telling people that steroids do work.

Food supplementation is just that. A supplement. To use when you're at such a high level of sports performance that solid food isn't enough and you physically can't stomach the quantities of food required to provide the needed nutrients.
Not sure where you get the idea that amateurs don't work extemely hard either.

Solid food is cheaper because it provides so many of the nutrients that aren't found in protein supplements. Add in the cost of tablets or powders to replace those nutrients, and you're looking at a ridiculous amount of money.
Per g of protein, solid foods are not cheaper.

It's only people who have fallen victim to the marketing machine (as I was referring to) who recommend supplements. They have absolutely no place in the diet of the average active person.
Once again, what marketing machine? Who are you to decide what people do with their diets?

Don't get me wrong, I was once a gullible person who bought all the latest proteins and BCAAs and Creatine and anabolic boosters etc etc. While I was taking them, I thought they were great.
On reflection though, it was all in my head. Psychosomatic. I should have saved my money and bought proper food.
Yawn

Top Bottom