Is the £15 Asda Helmet any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
Looking to enter my first 100k next spring. I don't wear a helmet and only want one for occasional wear (sounds like a wedding :biggrin: ) so will the cheap £15 "Bell" model from Asda do the job?...it is obviously a requirement of mass participation events that a helmet is worn....

PeteT

Actually, the £9.99 one from Lidl (with the built in light at the back) is more than adequate for the job - light, comfortable and meets all Euorpean safety regs. Check if the ASDA one does the same and go for it if it does.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
thanks guys it's good to see I can acquire a helment without having to break the bank....perhaps I will appreciate a good lid on my head and decide to wear everyday.....

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
How can group rides insist on people wearing helmets when it is not a legal requirement? I would take offence to that as I don't ever wear one.

Zoiders

Gyro, Met, Bell - myself and the two guys I MTB with have one of each and they are all quality lids.

Since they are all tested to the same measly EN standard (Specialized excepted) it will protect or not protect as well as any other.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Looking to enter my first 100k next spring. I don't wear a helmet and only want one for occasional wear (sounds like a wedding :biggrin: ) so will the cheap £15 "Bell" model from Asda do the job?...it is obviously a requirement of mass participation events that a helmet is worn....
usually it's not. The standard wording is 'we strongly advise'. That's to get the organisers insurers off the hook........

mattsccm

Easy. Apply the "its my ball " idea.

I suppose its arse covering or insurance compliance.

Anyway I have looked as the Asda Bells plenty of times. (Its on my walk to work when I have time to kill)

Seem ok to me , I might get one.

Top Bottom