Is the Coronacycling boom coming to an end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The last few times I've been out for leisure rides with a significant proportion of off-tarmac cycle paths and woods mileage on my route, I've been struck by how quiet it's become, compared with even a few weeks ago. My 2 hour ride yesterday was almost entirely deserted, and I just encountered a couple of kids in a park and a couple of locals riding near their house when I was almost back home. Cyclist numbers appear to be dramatically down, and so are recreational pedestrians, although not so much as cyclists.

Have I just witnessed a freak quiet day, or is this the end of the mini-boom and most of those riders have put their bikes away and reverted to their pre-Corona routines? I know some on here seemed to think the virus would result in a wholesale shift in mass transport away from motor vehicles, but I've always been sceptical of this theory and believed that for every 10 new Coronacyclists, 9 of them would not keep it up beyond the summer once things started to open up and the boredom was relieved by having more other activities available to do.
Am I being too pessimistic, or is it simply getting back to business as usual, with inactive lifestyles being the rule and the normal reluctance to travel even short distances under your own power?

Badger_Boom

Über Member
It's started raining here in Yorkshire so I think that might have something to do with it too.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's started raining here in Yorkshire so I think that might have something to do with it too.

Rain? Yorkshire? Nah! :tongue:

There's been a shift in the weather, along with other things opening up.

Some will have stayed riding, and my club's seen an upturn in both enquiries and new members, but many will have stopped. Second-hand bike prices on eBay also seem lower, although parts prices are still high.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have noticed the same.

Think it is a combination of:

a) people returning to work, kids returning to school

b) weather is becoming colder/wetter/windier as Autumn approaches

SGG on a bike

I’m starting to notice and recognise regulars on our morning rides. We tend to do the same route earlyish to fit around work, so times etc are usually fairly consistent. Rode out to visit an LBS in a neighbouring village yesterday (they do really good Ice Cream) and there were plenty of cyclists about, but mainly small groups of road bike riders.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's generally quieter - even folk out for a walk. Weather changes, folk at work/school. Certainly a big change last week or so, as I usually go out for a ride in my lunch break as I'm WFH. Long may this continue into the winter - daylight riding.

Weekdays have seen the biggest change for me.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

All the days I've been out riding recently have been dry during the ride and not that windy. Yesterday's ride was in very pleasant cycling conditions, comfortably cool with just a gentle breeze. Nothing about the weather to put people off being outdoors.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree that it's pretty dead out there, it has been for many weeks. There's a local circular bike / walking path near me which is quite a good yardstick. It was always pretty quiet before the 'rona, then during lockdown it was absolutely heaving with both walkers and cyclists, now it's very quiet again. Even Grafham Water was quiet on Saturday, despite the fact it was a nice day. The roads of course were busy.

for every 10 new Coronacyclists, 9 of them would not keep it up
9 would keep it up?....no chance. I would give it one in 20 max. You won't find out till next year as weather alone will reduce the numbers.
Reference walkers the same or at least similar. The weather makes a difference again. Not seen one for a while and I have been mainly off road for a couple of weeks, although mainly trespassing.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There a still lots of cyclists in Birmingham. They're usually dressed in ordinary clothes so they're probably using their bikes for everyday transport.

Top Bottom