Is the Coronacycling boom coming to an end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There a still lots of cyclists in Birmingham. They're usually dressed in ordinary clothes so they're probably using their bikes for everyday transport.

I'd agree utility cyclist numbers still seem slightly up on pre-virus, but the obvious recreationals, especially the weekend family groups, are way down on what they have been.
Pedestrian-wise, I'm seeing mostly the usual dog-walkers off tarmac and not a lot else.

Venod

Eh up
I didn't go out yesterday but my lad did 31 mile, he had 56 flybys on Strava some of them seemed to be on a tour entitled Grounded, they rode from Carlton in North Yorkshire to Newton Kyme in Lincolnshire, there was ten of them at least, this was day 2 for them, day one was from Bedale North Yorkshire to Carlton North Yorkshire.

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
Still loads of cyclists around my neck of North Yorkshire at the moment. No noticeable decline in numbers yet.
Even saw a couple of people of colour (are we still allowed to use that term?) in full lycra and on roadbikes, which normally is a total rarity around these parts.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
9 would keep it up?....no chance. I would give it one in 20 max. You won't find out till next year as weather alone will reduce the numbers.
Reference walkers the same or at least similar. The weather makes a difference again. Not seen one for a while and I have been mainly off road for a couple of weeks, although mainly trespassing.

Maybe not many of the new to hobbies people want to break laws.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not much sign of decline around West Norfolk yet. Sustrans Route 1 still pretty busy. Even the unsigned-but-maybe-intuitive fast route I took to Norwich last week had quite a few other cyclists on it. Numbers vary a bit with weather, which I think is people adjusting their journey times for the best of it rather than trying to do fixed 9-5 commutes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even saw a couple of people of colour (are we still allowed to use that term?)

You are a few decades late ! :ohmy:

Hopefully some will have tried cycling and keep doing it. I think while the weather is OK less will stop but bring on the cold, wet, windy, dark days then they'll be stopping in large numbers.
I always encourage people to cycle telling them it's good for their health and they may shed a stone or two.;)

Chris S

Legendary Member
Even saw a couple of people of colour (are we still allowed to use that term?) in full lycra and on roadbikes, which normally is a total rarity around these parts.
Most of the cyclists I see are from ethnic minorities, COVID has changed that. Before it most of my local cyclists looked like middle class lefties.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Children have started to go back to school. More people are returning to work. Shops have re-opened. People simply have less leisure time now to go out together.

Or they've all taken up paddle boarding & kyaking instead.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It is definitely quieter that i have noticed personally but then im not necessarily sure that is all down to Coronacycling boom ending. As has been said kids are back at school. More people back at work. The real test in when and if the bargains show up on the used market...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Definitely - until a few weeks ago any BSO sold for a billionty-two pounds at least. I've had a couple of lovely bikes for sale for a couple of weeks and they've not sold yet :laugh:

weareHKR

There a still lots of cyclists in Birmingham. They're usually dressed in ordinary clothes so they're probably using their bikes for everyday transport.
[/QUOTE
The missus & I had 5 days booked in Birmingham with an Airbnb in May, plan was to go out for the days to experience cycling the Canal routes, needles to say that didn't happen! :sad:

Top Bottom