Is the Coronacycling boom coming to an end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Most of the people who have gone out and bought bikes during Covid were not riding before Covid. So it makes sense that most of those people will be "fair weather" riders. Now that summer is over and there is a chill in the air, many of those new riders will put the bikes away for the winter. Even without Covid, what you're seeing is a seasonal thing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There were noticeably more people than usual out cycling again on Saturday, maybe 3x as many as I'd seen the last few weekends, but nothing like April/May, although I wasn't on signposted routes as much as usual on Saturday. The weather here was good and I think there might have been a touch of "this might be the last chance of a sunny day this year" about it.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the market will depend to a degree what you are looking for. The biggest sellers this year by far will have been sub-£500 flat bar hybrids and MTB's. I'm expecting a deluge of those on the used market over the next couple of years.
The majority of coronacyclists will not have been buying high end stuff, although all types of bike will have sold in higher numbers than normal. The sales volumes are at the lower end, and that will be reflected in what reappears used in due course. If you want a B'Twin, Apollo, or Carrera, you'll be spoilt for choice!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think the market will depend to a degree what you are looking for. The biggest sellers this year by far will have been sub-£500 flat bar hybrids and MTB's. I'm expecting a deluge of those on the used market over the next couple of years.
The majority of coronacyclists will not have been buying high end stuff, although all types of bike will have sold in higher numbers than normal. The sales volumes are at the lower end, and that will be reflected in what reappears used in due course. If you want a B'Twin, Apollo, or Carrera, you'll be spoilt for choice!
I'm after a low end road frame

classic33

Leg End Member
I've seen £2,000 - £4,000 e-assist bikes being sold out. Two local bike shops had no complete bikes in stock in June/July.

Not exactly low end bikes.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm after a low end road frame

You'll be spoilt for choice.

I've seen £2,000 - £4,000 e-assist bikes being sold out. Two local bike shops had no complete bikes in stock in June/July.

Not exactly low end bikes.

They won't have had vast stocks of that sort of bike to begin with. The price makes them comparable to a secondhand car. I'm not seeing huge numbers of expensive e-bikes. There's some e-bikes, but the majority are the cheaper ones or DIY motor kit jobs.
The overwhelming majority of bikes in utility & casual leisure use are still one or two grades above a BSO, and some are BSO's.

classic33

Leg End Member
You'll be spoilt for choice.

They won't have had vast stocks of that sort of bike to begin with. The price makes them comparable to a secondhand car. I'm not seeing huge numbers of expensive e-bikes. There's some e-bikes, but the majority are the cheaper ones or DIY motor kit jobs.
The overwhelming majority of bikes in utility & casual leisure use are still one or two grades above a BSO, and some are BSO's.
Giant couldn't supply one of their shops. The other had a stock of 40 e-assist, year round.

Both are now doing repairs only. With keyworkers having priority.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I'm a retired former cyclist who rescued my old bike after 30 years in the garage.
That was my project during the first lock-down.
Having brought it back from the dead, I've just equipped it with two new alloy wheels to replace the shabby steels.
It has a new lease of life and I've rediscovered the joys of cycling.
I've also learned an awful lot of 1960s bicycle engineering ... That's half the interest to me.
There's still a few jobs to do, but it's going well, and it will go better.
I'll probably do a bit less cycling over the winter - The cold and the dark are a big negative .
But I'll stick with it and you'll not be seeing my Carlton for sale for some time yet.

Top Bottom