Is the end of the push bike coming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Personally I'd doubt it. The bike survived having an internal cumbustion engine added.

There may be some scope for town bikes to be replaced, but the extra weight of an e-bike would, I'd suggest, mean that a lot of the current benefits of a bike would be lost.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I can't see it myself, although I see plenty of e-bikes on the Bristol Bath cyclepath, they will have their place, but I can't imagine they're going to replace the bicycle as a thing of simplicity. The same for electronic shifting, if it becomes obligatory then we will have lost something, I like my bicycles ready to ride without the need to be plugged in.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's a satisfaction from getting from A to B under your own steam and, as I was forced to note on a commuting route back from London as countless cyclists zoomed past me, they're not riding to and from work purely for transport, they're riding for exercise, for PBs, for the achievement. With the exception of electric lights and possibly electronic shifting, there's virtually no role for batteries. I'd suggest they're cycling because of this, not in spite of this.

RedRider

Pulling through
This article reckons the push bike is now 'infected' by electricty, and like the manual typewriter and washing machine, will eventually become obsolete.

Estimating the impact of an innovation is difficult, but I can see the point even if I'm not sure I agree with it.

What do you think?

http://extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=information&subcateg=99&id=31757
Seems the point of the article/website is to promote pedelec bikes. Pushbikes will survive and thrive!!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't think there's room for both. We should have a war.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thank god he is not going on about Di2. I can see very little point of electric assist bikes unless you need it (age, disability etc), otherwise just get pedalling.

Di2, Garmins, mega watt lights etc are all bling for us nutters ! ^_^

Top Bottom