Is the LBS guy right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slawek

So, have sat on a few bikes until in the end got to LBS where I got a 'proper' fit. Must have spent on the bike 30-40 min with him measuring different things and adjusting different part of the bike (and explaining all about the ergonomics and such). In the end, what felt as mildly comfortable bike ended up feeling quite nice actually.

Now, I was cheeky enough to ask him if we could do the same with another bike (they have two from my shortlist that I wanted to try) but he was not very keen and said something along those lines:

does not matter what sort of bike he will be sizing for me as each of them will in the end fit me.

The bike I was sat on was Canondale Synapse and I asked him about Scott Speedster. As far as I know, both bikes have similar geometry.

So, was the LBS guy right and I simply wasted my time test riding all different bikes (but with similar, relaxed geometry)? Perhaps I should simply choose it going by the colour?

The above makes me also question my other test rides, especially cube peloton and giant defy (again, the same relaxed geometry). Giant felt nice but Cube did not - now I start to think that perhaps it just happened that giant had all the bits in more or less right position and cube did not and that was all there was in terms of difference.

I would be keen to know your opinions on this one as I think I'm really going to have to decide by which colour I like the best rather than which bike feels more comfortable (as, if LBS guy is right, all of them will be).

vickster

Legendary Member
I think as long as the frame is broadly the correct size, any bike can be made to fit, but it depends what it's for and what you are looking for

Stem length and anhle, crank length, bar width will all vary between bikes and brands and make a bike feel different. Before you even start on saddle height

I assume you are buying the bike from the guy who spent 40 minutes setting a bike up for you :smile:

OilyMechanic

Aslong as the frame size is correct, which is very easy for a shop-worker to gauge, any bike will end up fitting you fine.

Get the right size frame, then play around with saddle height, stem length etc when you have the bike you like the luck of. You don't need to be playing around with all that stuff before you buy a bike.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
When I got my bike from Condor, they worked out my exact sizing on their fit-o-tron adjustable bike frame thingy, then the bike I ordered was set up to match. I think I've moved the handlebars about 5mm since, and that's it. I didn't "try" the bike I ordered.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Im not sure under one hour or even four hours and £250 for the pleasure can get the bike how you like it .

Cyclone1

Getting the correct sizing is the first step. Once you have this you can then gauge how the bike feels and performs.

Unless you buy a bike that you can spec up yourself then you will be restricted to items such as stem length, handle bar width and seat type, all of which can play a part in how the bike fits and feels.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think he did pretty well spending all that time with you and adjusting stuff to fit you and you didn't even buy anything! Short of making love to you I don't see how he could have done more. Whatever you buy it can be adjusted to suit you.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I am by no means experienced or as knowledgeable as many members here but for my 2 pennies I would give the LBS my trade after they spent quality time with you on the fit etc.

I changed the saddle, bars, stem & wheels (seatpost is a dedicated aero unit so no option) on my bike & will do the same with next bike inc seatpost.

I struggle with things like seat height & angle as well as cleat position for my shoes/pedals & this is where a very experienced shop guy/mate/bike fitter is worth their weight in gold (only an opinion).

OP
OP
S

Slawek

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Just to clarify - I had no idea what this guy would be doing actually (or that he will spent so much time). My first LBS spent with me 5 minutes to make sure the frame is correct size and let me ride 2 of their bikes (gian and cube), another LBS spent with me 10 min making sure that apart from the frame, other bits seem to be OK and it's only that one last LBS that have got me on this stationery thing with a bike set up on it that spent with me so much time. So I really had no idea what they were planning to do before I arrived at the shop.

I guess I asked the question as, strange as I am, I think I'm feeling bit disappointed that all my test riding actually did not bring any results as such. I mean none of the bikes stand out and no so I'm no closer to a decision I thought will be easy to make after trying some bikes.

@Cycleops and @SteCenturion I will be buying my bike off them - after the experience I had I can see how important it is that all the bits are correct. They have 2 bikes from my shortlist (Canondale Synapes 8 and Scott Speedster 40) and the fitting they did with Canondale I am bit unwilling to narrow my choice just to canondale (as I'm not too keen on counting in the Scott without having the fit even though the guy assures me it will be fine).

@Cuchilo I guess it must depends. I have no experience at all in terms of setting the bike up. It's only now after the experience of LBSs (especially the last one) that I have notices my MTB is not really correct for me - and I have been riding it for many years now. So I think I would be unlikely to be able to do all that myself. When I was sat on this stationery thing pedaling the canondale bike (which they allowed me to do for quite some time) I started feeling my back. I mentioned this to the guy and after a while, he adjusted the height of the stem bar and suddenly all was good. So from my point of view, that fitting was pretty good and quite likely saved me a lot of trouble.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think if none of the bikes stood out when you rode them, and the Canondale felt good when it was fitted to you, you may as well just pick between that and the Scott on frame colour! Or on spec, if one has slightly better bits than the other.

I think I'm feeling bit disappointed that all my test riding actually did not bring any results as such. I mean none of the bikes stand out and no so I'm no closer to a decision I thought will be easy to make after trying some bikes.

How long where your test rides, and what exactly where you expecting? Unless you spend a fair while riding the bikes around an identical and varied route you are unlikely to be able to say for sure which bike will actually be the 'best' for you.

So long as you know what style of geo you want (relaxed/racing/touring) and the frame size then it pretty much falls down to budget and the components on offer within your budget. As what I am presuming is your first bike i would suggest getting the right saddle will be the most important thing after selecting the correct geo.

siadwell

Guru
Have you looked for reviews of the bikes of interest online or in mags? For a review article in the likes of Cycling Plus, they put each bike through its paces over the same lengthy course, which will give a much better idea of the pros and cons of a bike than you taking it for a short test ride round a car park.
I bought my current bike mail order based on the fact that it had a relaxed geometry, got a good writeup in C+ Bike of the Year review and had components a couple of steps up from my previous bike (and had a big discount as last year's model!). Apart from dropping the saddle a few mm, I'm very pleased with it.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
As a FWIW type thing, I bought my bike because it was a) fit as feck (in a bike supermodel kinda way) b) roughly the right size frame for my body & c) reduced by £1k - with a better spec than anything else for the £££.

This was kind of a gamble/educated guess that all would be well.

I knew that if I got a size large, be it 56.5 or 58 I could get it to fit with simple swaps of bar, stem & saddle in this case.

A shop guy quite recently tried to persuade me I need a 60 for a planned +1 but my choice is to disregard his advice & go 58.

The whole sizing topic is fraught with ifs & buts because we are all very different in body shape, size & flexibility as well as having different needs & views of what is comfortable/desirable.

Now, my example is just that, it worked out for me last time but might not always be the case.

When I first got back into cycling/road bikes I bought a Giant Defy size Large 2nd hand from a LBS, I rode this bike 6 times in just over a year & not very far either (it was just too big).

I suppose my point is that on the one hand it could be well worth spending lots of time trying out all different bikes in different sizes etc or in it's simplest form (as has been suggested) it could be just a case of buy the one that makes you go WoW when you see it.

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed that if the frame size is roughly right, then any bike will be adaptable. Things like stem can be replaced easily (usually). the only things to look out for is if the bike comes with a chainset with gears that are not to your taste (eg a double vs a compact) as that will be pricey to change. Another issue is that personally I am on a medium-ish bike but prefer wide bars, and that might be pricey to change

Top Bottom