Is the LBS guy right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
according to the modern idiom (compact/semi compact) I should ride a 58 frame. According to the splendid corridori cycle sport in epsom that's bang on the money. But when I transfer the numbers from my bikefit datasheet to manufacturers' geometry charts I find a 60cm from Genesis (Equilibrium 853), and a 62cm from Jamis (Aurora elite) fit me fine, with a slightly shorter stem in the latter case and a slight loss in standover height in both instances. This largely only because the frames have more horizontal top tubes. I like the old school very little seatpost look, and on a touring/commutting bike I want the bars level with the saddle.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Agreed that if the frame size is roughly right, then any bike will be adaptable. Things like stem can be replaced easily (usually). the only things to look out for is if the bike comes with a chainset with gears that are not to your taste (eg a double vs a compact) as that will be pricey to change. Another issue is that personally I am on a medium-ish bike but prefer wide bars, and that might be pricey to change
Good point, I forgot about chainsets which would be £££ pricey to change as you say. A good alloy bar can be had for reasonable money though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes but if I was buying a new bike, I'd want it fitted and wrapped by someone who knows what they are doing, I.e. Not me. Stock tape is normally gash too. So I'd be upgrading. I reckon you could easily be in for £50-75 for decent bars and tape, plus potentially a new stem and saddle at a minimum...all starts to add up

yello

Colour is as good a criteria as any other to decide between bikes! Within a similar spec range there's often only personal preference to decide between bikes. None of the bikes you rode are lemons. There's no such thing as a 'best bike' really, only one best suited to your needs. And if you're not really sure what your needs are then it can seem a difficult choice and I can sympathise.

The LBS is right, any bike can be set up for you - even over a range of frame sizes. A newbie, or a someone new to drop bar bikes, is not going to feel at home on a new bike from the word go, but you adapt and get used to it. And you tinker over time to fine tune the set up. It's part of the fun!

Personally speaking, I think the fact this LBS spent the amount of time he did with you speaks in his favour. LBS is another factor deciding your choice. So, if it were me and all things like price and spec where much of a muchness, then I'd be producing my credit card for the Synapse. But then I like the Synapse ;)

Any decent LBS should swap a stem on a new bike. Apart from that as long as you've got the right size frame and the gearing you want, everything else is tweakable as you use it.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Yes but if I was buying a new bike, I'd want it fitted and wrapped by someone who knows what they are doing, I.e. Not me. Stock tape is normally gash too. So I'd be upgrading. I reckon you could easily be in for £50-75 for decent bars and tape, plus potentially a new stem and saddle at a minimum...all starts to add up
He, he, he.

Your description of bar tape just made me laugh, not heard that in a quite a while, tickled.

Cyclist33

I think as long as the frame is broadly the correct size, any bike can be made to fit, but it depends what it's for and what you are looking for

Stem length and anhle, crank length, bar width will all vary between bikes and brands and make a bike feel different. Before you even start on saddle height

I assume you are buying the bike from the guy who spent 40 minutes setting a bike up for you :smile:

Don't forget the geometric differences! :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think ultimately that makes that much difference, as I said, depends if you want a more relaxed or racy bike. The OP is looking at the relaxed ones it seems. Wsd is a different matter of course

Cyclist33

I'm going to attest to the difference between my Jamis and Giant as the head angle is steeper on the Jamis so it's a lot livelier up front!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think the OP observed such specificities, more whether it was comfortable and felt right

I'd go with the one that looks nicest and has the least amount of black on the frame

OP
OP
S

Slawek

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

My first ever experience on a road bike was some 4 weeks ago or so - did 2 hours in quite a varied terrain (flat, small hills, big long hills etc). It was Trek 1.2 that I rented from Rutland Cycling (though I do not live anywhere close). There was no fitting done apart from adjusting the saddle height. And it felt great from the very first second - as if I was born to ride road bikes. All the other bikes (giant defy 3, cube peleton and forme longcliffe 4.0) were rather short, 10-15 min rides on flat terrain.

I think I have just cut my shortlist to 3 bikes - the 2 available in that LBS that did that good fitting for me (canondale synapse or scott speedster) for the simple reason that they seem to know what they are doing (and I don't) or trek that I know I sat my bum on for good 2 hours and it felt great. I think I will most likely go for the bike from LBS shop. At least if I need some help or advice afterwards I could just pop in there and get some help with the bike they sold me.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't think the OP observed such specificities, more whether it was comfortable and felt right

I'd go with the one that looks nicest and has the least most amount of black on the frame
FTFY
- most preferably matt ^_^

Top Bottom