Is the new SRAM Eagle Faster than a bike with a front big crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If the biggest chainring on your Kona is 44 teeth and the smallest rear sprocket on your cassette is 11 teeth - gives a top gear of 44 x 11. With the Sram setup your biggest gear would be 32 x 11 - this is a much lower or easier gear, so assuming you are turning the pedals at the same rate (cadence) in theory the Kona would be going much faster than the bike with the Sram Eagle. (In fact, if your Kona has a middle chainring with 32 teeth, the Sram top gear will be same as your Kona when in the middle chainring and the 11 tooth rear sprocket).

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

If the biggest chainring on your Kona is 44 teeth and the smallest rear sprocket on your cassette is 11 teeth - gives a top gear of 44 x 11. With the Sram setup your biggest gear would be 32 x 11 - this is a much lower or easier gear, so assuming you are turning the pedals at the same rate (cadence) in theory the Kona would be going much faster than the bike with the Sram Eagle. (In fact, if your Kona has a middle chainring with 32 teeth, the Sram top gear will be same as your Kona when in the middle chainring and the 11 tooth rear sprocket).
Yeah! That's what i'm talking about. so i have seen you can get bigger chainrings, i'm thinking of getting an orange crush pro 27.5 2018 can i just put a bigger chainring on?

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

Ive bent the big chainring on my Kona and the chain keeps dropping off. think this was stress from using the low gears on the back and the 44t chainring.

youngoldbloke

You haven't said where you ride. If you ride on road I suggest the Orange is the wrong bike as the gearing and suspension on that bike is more suitable for off road, rough tracks etc. and the bike is set up for that sort of riding. If you want to go fast on road or smoother tracks get a road bike or CX bike, or hybrid. You will then find bikes with larger chainrings - commonly 50/34, allowing higher top gears. BTW the smaller cogs on the cassette are not usually called 'lower'. Lower (easier) gears are given by using the bigger cogs (more teeth) Higher (harder) gears use the smaller (fewer teeth) cogs. Look at a gear chart.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm sure you've figured it out already, but bear in mind you have to be strong/fit enough to push the bigger gear in order to get the speed benefit. I have a 52/14 top gear on my road bike which is very high, but I still can't produce enough power to need a bigger gear except on the odd very long downhill.

For uphills, having a nice low bottom gear is much more important than a higher top one.

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

You could try something like this, its 1 x 11 with a 44 tooth chainring.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Speeder-300-2018-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_110605.htm

Well i think the best solution is to get two bikes then. I got my orange, going to be using this in Portugal Porto.
patrimonio_paisagistico.jpg

But for Jersey you guys are probably right. A road bike or hybrid is probably what im looking for. they just dont appeal to me :/ might just fix the kona, get a new chainring to replace the bent one and maybe some new wheels cause it sounds like the spindles are popping out round corners sometimes at high speeds. Thanks for the help and info!

This is the Orange i got, i would sill be able to get a bigger chain ring on this as well right? i've tried it out and it just doesn't have the same amount of torque? (not sure if that's the right term) or power like the old Kona.
https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/crush-pro

Race Face Aeffect DM30t Steel Ring - this is whats on there at the moment.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-single-narrowwide-chainring/ Can i just put a 36t on of these on the bike or will there be an issue with spacing and fitting?

Thank you in advance.

MikeG

Guru
Well, this is an odd thread. Incomprehensible questions with no context, no answers to the questions asked in response, grand declarations and conclusions drawn with no apparent reasoning...........and all in a stream-of-consciousness style. It could become a classic.

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

Well, this is an odd thread. Incomprehensible questions with no context, no answers to the questions asked in response, grand declarations and conclusions drawn with no apparent reasoning...........and all in a stream-of-consciousness style. It could become a classic.
Wow!!! Your comment is as useful as a chocolate tea pot.
arrogant.jpg

Grand declarations... lol I have a house in Portugal in that area next to the river if that's what you mean, don't know what you mean about incomprehensible questions that other people seem to be able to decipher... All I want to know now is what chainring to get that will fit this Orange.

After looking into this more last night I saw this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...unt-cinch-narrow-wide-chainring/rp-prod113269 .

Will a 36th fit and clear the Chain stay? is there a way to measure the bike to know for sure?
Any help is appreciated.

youngoldbloke

You'll need a chainring that specifically fits the chainset on the bike - you need to know the actual chainset name/number. Then you'll need it fitted., and maybe a new chain too.

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

What Questions??
I answered them when I saw them. I ride in Portugal and Jersey. Its pretty ruff terrain in Porto, the roads around my house are all cobble stone with very steep hills. In Jersey the roads are a lot better pretty flat and there are not many trails here as its a small island.

Top Bottom