Is the new SRAM Eagle Faster than a bike with a front big crank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I assume you mean sram eagle ? compared to a"normal " set up .
All depends on the gear ratios of the set up compared to the alternative, all things being equal tyres, bike, wheels etc you are only as fast as the gear you can pedal.Whether its 1x or any other set up the gear inches are the same.

What is a 'front big crank'?
100_9177.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
Like speed on a road, does anyone have one?

Sram Eagle was developed to help those running 1x to have a decent top end speed by having a larger front ring whilst maintaining low gears for climbing. They still have fairly large steps between each gear. But riding a MTB doesnt require close ratio cassettes unless riding downhill.

A large front ring onto an 11 tooth rear is still going to be quicker on the top end

OP
OP
Beukez

Beukez

Ok so lets say you have that 1x 32 tooth front ring and your cycling on a road on a slight incline. will the top speed on the lowest back ring like an 11 tooth be slower than a setup with a slightly larger front ring? I am currently on a 3x kona blast and i only ever use the lower ring and the biggest front ring as the wheels are too big on the back and catch on the gears. I just dont want to be going slower but i like how clean the Sram Eagle looks like.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ok so lets say you have that 1x 32 tooth front ring and your cycling on a road on a slight incline. will the top speed on the lowest back ring like an 11 tooth be slower than a setup with a slightly larger front ring? I am currently on a 3x kona blast and i only ever use the lower ring and the biggest front ring as the wheels are too big on the back and catch on the gears. I just dont want to be going slower but i like how clean the Sram Eagle looks like.

Depends how fast you can spin whatever gear you are in - cadence.

Have a play with this gear calculator.

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

Top Bottom