Is their such a thing as a helmet mirror?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alves

These helmet mirrors are popular in the States for some reason. I borrowed one once and it left me a nervous wreck. You do see traffic behind you that I would have preferred to ignore or at least be aware of without actually disturbing your ride. I spent far too much time checking behind me and not enough just riding.
I also thought if you caught a branch with your helmet or fell off the mirror and it's leg was going straight into your eye!

Rob S

Having been rammed off my bike from behind by a lorry three weeks ago on a dual carriageway (broken shoulder and ribs etc) I can safely say that I won't be buying a mirror to 'stop' it happening again....I'd be spending all my time looking in the mirror, I'm unlikely be able to easily tell if a lorry is driving too close and I'd probably end up colliding with something in front of me.

Tynan

Veteran
seen helmet mirrors twice in the last week in different shops

too much vibration surely?

I have no problem using my ears and neck

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Rob S said:
Having been rammed off my bike from behind by a lorry three weeks ago on a dual carriageway (broken shoulder and ribs etc) I can safely say that I won't be buying a mirror to 'stop' it happening again....I'd be spending all my time looking in the mirror, I'm unlikely be able to easily tell if a lorry is driving too close and I'd probably end up colliding with something in front of me.

Hope your alright Rob - sounds like a nasty go' !

col

Legendary Member
I remember a helmet with the mirror inside the helmet some time ago,i dont know if it was on an inventors show,or something actually on sale,but the inbuilt aspect was a good idea,the mirror you looked in was just above your eyes set in the helmet.

jashburnham

col said:
I remember a helmet with the mirror inside the helmet some time ago,i dont know if it was on an inventors show,or something actually on sale,but the inbuilt aspect was a good idea,the mirror you looked in was just above your eyes set in the helmet.

I remember this as well, can't for the life of me remember who made it and never seen one for sale.

col

Legendary Member
jashburnham said:
I remember this as well, can't for the life of me remember who made it and never seen one for sale.

It was effectively a rearward looking periscope inbuilt wasnt it?

col

Legendary Member
Iv been trying to find something on the web,but had no luck.I remember thinking what a good idea at the time.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Ended up with one of the these:

cat%20bm%20300g%20mirror.jpg

A Cateye variant.

Put it on the Space bar type extender thing ive got attached to the h.bars ;)

Top Bottom