Is there a metalworking hobbyist in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My struggles to fix a leak in my washing machine continue. I'm still reluctant to remove the casing, for fear I will break brittle plastic lugs/clips and/or otherwise prove unable to reassemble it, but I suddenly had a brainwave and thought why don't I just cut a hole in the side to access the leaky tube? The machine lives in the sideboard anyway, so any such damage will never be visible. Question is, how to open it up? Googling got me as far as aviation snips, which claim to be good for anything up to gauge 18 steel. Will they be able to cut the sheet steel used for a washing machine casing? I've discovered that 18 gauge is a little over 1mm, which sounds promising, but I can't actually get at the casing with my cheapo micrometer to check properly, so I was wondering if anyone hereabouts might know. Any thoughts/advice/handy household hints & tips very much appreciated.

stephec

Legendary Member
What kind of opening do you need?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wow! Thank you so much! I'm going to give it a go. (I really don't think it's more trouble than dismantling it. Sounds much easier to me!)

Oh, and to answer Stephec's Q, I plan to open up a hole maybe 6" x 18", to enable me to wrap the offending tube using an old inner tube. Mr Bodge, that's me!

(And I don't have a dremel or an angle grinder, but I can get some snips for not much over a tenner.)

CC comes up trumps again!

stephec

Legendary Member
At that size an angle grinder was my thinking as well, but if you can't get hold of one do you have one of those drill bits that can be used as a saw blade?

Although that would require a very steady hand to make sure you don't damage anything behind the panel.

classic33

Leg End Member
Make certain that the wires for the water inlets are well clear of the area you intend cutting.

Before cutting, check to see if you can actually cut the side panel, without damaging the soap drawer and associated plumbing. From memory, the one in your machine was almost touching the side.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you attack the casing, for Heaven's sake put loads of tape round the cut edges of your access hole. If you don't, I triple guarantee that you'll slice up your fingers, wrist and forearm.
I know this.....
Ouch! Yes indeed - the kind of mistake you make once. ^_^

Thanks for the warnings. I can actually see how & where I really should be able to cut safely, without damaging any of the innards. I'll report back if & when I go ahead, but I think it's pretty odds-on...

A nibbler might be better as all you would need to gain access would be a small hole to enable the blade to fit. Tin snips will require a larger hole and come in different varieties , straight or left or right . One side will be kept undamaged whilst the waste side will curl up to clear the blade / handle .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^^^ This. Draper do a hand nibbler for about £20. You can probably get something cheaper and nastier on Ebay. A Dremel-type tool with a small diameter cutting wheel would probably work as a parishioner has already suggested. Snips could be a bit awkward if you are not cutting in from an edge.

EDIT: Sorry, I was referring to post 13 above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom