Is there a necessity for a bicycle helmet which provides a better range and quality of protection ?

Do you feel that there is a necessity for this project and the development of a new helmet?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 91.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helmet design

Hello,

I am a 16 year old student currently studying Design Technology for the IB Diploma course.
For my major project I intend to design a bicycle helmet that improves the range and quality of protection compared to those available on the market. This is my design brief :
  • To design and manufacture a working prototype of a bicycle helmet that provides increased protection to the mid face and mandible.
I am looking for a response as to whether you feel that there is a necessity for this project and the development of a new helmet that provides better protection to cyclists.

Any responses or feedback is welcome and will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is this for road or off road use? Both exist already and like all helmets have their drawbacks as well as benefits.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I’m with Ian up thread. Infrastructure and car culture need to change first.

Mostly I don’t wear a helmet. There is no evidence to prove it would help me in any way. Certainly not under a car. Luckily I partake in a cycling sport where it is your choice to wear one or not. (Audax) I don’t particularly like the feel, look or design of any that are available on the market.

When I go mountain biking I do wear a helmet but purely for protection against branches et cetera. For the same reasons above I can’t imagine it helping me in a crash and there is no evidence to say otherwise.

There is a road cycling club I ride with occasionally who have a club rule that all riders must wear a helmet. I have weighed up the pros and cons of this and riding with them is an advantage so I wear a helmet to keep within club rules. I could always choose not to ride with them if I felt overly opinionated about helmet use.

So you can see that I pick and choose for my own perceived advantages. Currently there is no evidence and I go by my own democratic choice whether to wear one or not depending on the situation. If you came up with a design of helmet that was proven to have safety benefits and was comfortable and I was happy to wear it for ascetic reasons then I would definitely wear one all the time.

For now the jury is out.

Smudge

Veteran
We already have full face cycle helmets, although usually only used for MTB's.
I guess a road version might help to protect your boat in a face plant, but i would bet that people would be even less inclined to wear these over a normal cycle helmet.

classic33

Leg End Member
We already have full face cycle helmets, although usually only used for MTB's.
I guess a road version might help to protect your boat in a face plant, but i would bet that people would be even less inclined to wear these over a normal cycle helmet.
There's "full face road" helmets

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's an old guy I occasionally see on my commute who wears one of these...

vizorx-1.jpg

I can't help but wonder if he's a fan of Daft Punk. ^_^

Smudge

Veteran
There's "full face road" helmets

I did wonder if there was already, although i've not come across them.
But cycle helmets dont interest me much.

Slick

Guru
I do wear a helmet, I've read lots of different arguments from both sides and admit there is little evidence to suggest that it would be of any use in most types of accidents or incidents but I personally would draw the line at a full face helmet mostly for a lot of the reasons that others would quote for no helmet, but we all have our line in the sand and full face is mine.

The best of luck with the diploma though. :okay:

simongt

Guru
I can’t imagine it helping me in a crash and there is no evidence to say otherwise.
Interesting viewpoint Heltor Chasca. Last year when I was rear ended, thus it was impossible to 'see it coming' so I could take avoiding action, I was knocked unconcious for about fifteen minutes and I now have tinnitus in one ear and a permanently damaged cochlea. I was wearing a bash hat at the time, as is my choice and I don't like to think how much worse the injury to my head and associated organs might have been if I hadn't had a bash hat on. :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Given the range of helmets already out there, including "full face" on-road. What is going to make yours different enough for it to stand out.

I'll add something to the post above, hitting the head whilst not wearing a helmet. I've got another hole in the skull, right rear quarter. Behind the right ear, level with the top of the ear. Not cycling related, but not the first head injury either. Other injuries, over the yeats, include a cracked lower jaw, right-side and broken nose. Lower jaw, front, cracked.

How, if it's within your plan, will you be addressing the possibility of injuries to these areas?

Drago

Legendary Member
For every 1 billion journey miles by walking, 59 people die.

For every 1 billion journey miles by cycling, 53 people die.

Seeing as cycling, in terms of your likelihood of snuffing it, is actually safer than walking, and pedestrians don't feel the need to code up in all sorts of protective gear, I cannot see a coherent argument for helmets at all.

Still and all, you have your project so youre going to go at it regardless. I would suggest that 'no' is again the answer. And when you go ahead anyway you need consider that anything that increases the size or diameter of the head can promote rotational head injuries and spinal injuries. If it comes to to smashing my face or being a paraplegic I'll reluctantly choose the former.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Interesting viewpoint Heltor Chasca. Last year when I was rear ended, thus it was impossible to 'see it coming' so I could take avoiding action, I was knocked unconcious for about fifteen minutes and I now have tinnitus in one ear and a permanently damaged cochlea. I was wearing a bash hat at the time, as is my choice and I don't like to think how much worse the injury to my head and associated organs might have been if I hadn't had a bash hat on. :whistle:

Anecdotal because you would only really know if you could assimilate the exact crash, person etc without a helmet. You could even say that with a helmet these injuries may not have happened. Unfortunate but I’m glad you are ok and I stand firm that we all have choice.

I’m interested in your statement thinking that your helmet saved other associated organs. I got an A in O’ Level Biology but obviously I missed an important lesson when I had that week off school. 😉

Top Bottom