Is there a sat Nav for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't remember the details but I'm sure Aldi have offered sat nav with a bike mount on at least two occassions. It's made by Medion as is much of their IT stuff. I'm not very clued up on the quality of these products but have friends who work in IT who tell me it's very good value and have purchased Aldi hardware for themselves.

Have you considered Tom Tom or an handheld PC? I'm sure with a bit of ingenuity one could rig up a bike mount or for a handheld PC you can probably buy one? My Tom Tom does walking and cycling routes though I've never used it for cycling.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
;)!Bottoms! As I feared, just got an email from dabs pushing the delivery date for the Garmin 705 back to 14th April. I'll be injured by then!!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista, it's just about perfect for my use on the bike.

me too, you can get a handlebar mount for the garmin handhelds, I loaded mine with metroguide europe and I now never get lost. The topographical maps give you altitude info too mind you it can fill you with dread knowing a 20% hill is coming up so I save that for the garmin 60csx which I use when roaming the hills.

They don't tsalk to you by the way and it is fairly expensive ;)

davidwalton

PatrickPending said:
me too, you can get a handlebar mount for the garmin handhelds, I loaded mine with metroguide europe and I now never get lost. The topographical maps give you altitude info too mind you it can fill you with dread knowing a 20% hill is coming up so I save that for the garmin 60csx which I use when roaming the hills.

They don't tsalk to you by the way and it is fairly expensive ;)

Mine beeps at me about 0.5 miles to turn, and again with a few hundred feet to turn. Yes, I have a Vista as well;)

I got the Europe NT maps, so once I get fit enough to go on European hols, then I can still use it there.

RedBike

I just use tomtom on my phone.

It works (no surprise) just like the one in the car. The only problem is the directions can be a little hard to hear when you're going quickly due to wind noise.

RedBike

Nothing stopping you from using something like this or even this and mounting it in a waterproof case.

Battery life might be an issue; but i'm sure 4 hours would be more than enough to put you back on track after that wrong turn.

davidwalton

RedBike said:
Nothing stopping you from using something like this or even this and mounting it in a waterproof case.

Battery life might be an issue; but i'm sure 4 hours would be more than enough to put you back on track after that wrong turn.

Well, my theory was that I would rather buy something that is designed to function outside in the weather, and for much longer than a few hours.

Yes, it costs, but at the end of the day I believe that the Garmin unit with maps will be more reliable, work longer, and in the end be more cost effective than buying something really cheap which I would need to work outside of it's intended use.

buggi

Bird Saviour
RedBike said:
I just use tomtom on my phone.

It works (no surprise) just like the one in the car. The only problem is the directions can be a little hard to hear when you're going quickly due to wind noise.

why don't you get a bluetooth thingy for your ear?

how do you get tomtom on your phone anyway?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
davidwalton said:
I got the Europe NT maps

Me too! That has saved me a lot of trouble on several European trips, mostly on foot. Looking for hotels, cash machines, etc., you just use the points of interest database and get the closest one, the hotels usually have a telephone number so it's really easy to find a room.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Dave5N said:
Ugh! I like being on a bike for the sense of freedom. Having some gadget telling me where I am would destroy the magic.

No, see my previous post. It *adds* to the magic, because you feel free to explore all sorts of roads you might not otherwise whilst not worrying where you are. You get more time to look around and enjoy the scenery too.

RedBike

why don't you get a bluetooth thingy for your ear?

how do you get tomtom on your phone anyway?

There's no real need for the bluetooth ear piece. I have my phone mounted in a carrier on the bars. I can still see the "bread crumb trail" on the map even if I can't clearly hear the directions when travelling at speed.

You can buy tomtom (and many other gps applications) for Nokia smart phones. My phone has a built in gps reciever but even if your phone hasn't you can buy a reciever that will connect to most phones via bluetooth for about £20/£30.

Top Bottom