Is there a sat Nav for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got to admit, you've semi-convinced me David. Having stuck up my arguments you've knocked 'em down one by one.

Trouble is, there isn't a one device fits all though is there. You'd have different requirements for off-roading to city riding or if you wanted one to do that plus cadence etc... Still for off-roading, if you took the dreaded map and the GPS gave you co-ordinates...hmmm

davidwalton

Crackle said:
Got to admit, you've semi-convinced me David. Having stuck up my arguments you've knocked 'em down one by one.

Trouble is, there isn't a one device fits all though is there. You'd have different requirements for off-roading to city riding or if you wanted one to do that plus cadence etc... Still for off-roading, if you took the dreaded map and the GPS gave you co-ordinates...hmmm

If you want everything, including fitness stuff, road SatNav, Off Road, then look at the Garmin 705 with Topo GB maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885

TOPO Great Britain contains topographic maps with detailed coverage of England, Scotland and Wales — perfect for your next recreational outing. With topographical data provided by Ordnance Survey® of Great Britain and road maps provided by NAVTEQ™.

This setup isn't going to be cheap though, and the fitness units don't use AA batteries so you do need to recharge the internal one after 15 hours.

Personally, I would buy something like the eTrex Vista® HCx (Unit I use), see https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8703&locale=en_GB
with Topo maps, and then have a separate computer for any fitness stuff you require.

davidwalton

Bollo said:
Look at it, but try buying the bu33er! Looks like the release date has slipped to the end of April.:sad:

Hehehe. I wouldn't want to buy it, hence i got the Vista unit.

One thing about Garmin I have found is that they are very slow when it comes to getting products out. Support is great, and you get to speak to a real person fairly quickly. They just have not sorted out how to get what they make on to the streets quickly.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
wafflycat said:
And, as long as you happen to be in an area where there's plenty of folk about. Cycle in many rural parts and you can be cycling for ages without seeing anyone!

Thats a good point. In one place i went through it was very strange, there was no-one about at all. However there was a pub, not that there appeared to be anyone in there. :sad:
Maps are no good because i have to get a thick one to be able to have it on the areas. But GPS puts me off because i could do with street maps really.
If i got a GPS could i up load some maps from the Garmin Satnav we got? That would be handy. But i doubt it could be done.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Joe24 said:
Maps are no good because i have to get a thick one to be able to have it on the areas. But GPS puts me off because i could do with street maps really.
If i got a GPS could i up load some maps from the Garmin Satnav we got? That would be handy. But i doubt it could be done.

Technically it could be possible, but Garmin tie down their maps to a specific machine for licencing reasons. If you want a feel of the delight this causes users, google on "Unlocking Garmin Maps" or similar.

davidwalton

Joe24 said:
Thats a good point. In one place i went through it was very strange, there was no-one about at all. However there was a pub, not that there appeared to be anyone in there. :sad:

Not sure, but I think with Garmin maps, you have the choice of either buying DVD version which then ties you to a specific Garmin unit, but can load the maps on any PC, or you buy the MicroSD version which I presume can then be used within any unit, but tied to just one PC.

You would need to check, and Garmin support is the best place for that. Call them on.......... FreePhone 0808 238 0000, and go through to the HandHeld support option, option 2, last time I phoned them.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Would TomTom maps work on a Garmin GPS do you reckon.
Another option could be a palm pilot thing with GPS, and then get the TomTom maps from ebay(an uncle has them and has done this) and then uploading them onto the palm pilot thing, putting it into a water proof case and using that. Mounting would be the problem though.
I think there is an SD card somewhere in the house with just British Garmin maps on from the Satnav we got. So that could be be unlocked and could work then, in a GPS or palm pilot thingy? There was a CD with all the maps on that came with it (Europe) that we just put onto another SD card and put in the Satnav.

davidwalton

Joe24 said:
Would TomTom maps work on a Garmin GPS do you reckon.
Another option could be a palm pilot thing with GPS, and then get the TomTom maps from ebay(an uncle has them and has done this) and then uploading them onto the palm pilot thing, putting it into a water proof case and using that. Mounting would be the problem though.
I think there is an SD card somewhere in the house with just British Garmin maps on from the Satnav we got. So that could be be unlocked and could work then, in a GPS or palm pilot thingy? There was a CD with all the maps on that came with it (Europe) that we just put onto another SD card and put in the Satnav.

Best to phone Garmin and check with them as to what can be done.

wafflycat

As already pointed out, there's the MemoryMap Road Angel 7000 adventurer. Can be used in-car, on-bike, hand-held.

"Much more than a GPS, the ROAD ANGEL Adventurer 7000 is the first waterproof and rugged PND (Portable Navigation Device) to provide turn-by-turn voice directions and safety camera alerts for use in car and full colour digital Ordnance Survey® maps for the outdoors. Pre-loaded with UK wide street level mapping, just enter your destination by address or full postcode and Adventurer 7000 will guide you using voice directions, turn-by-turn junction graphics and 3D overview map display. To help you drive safely, visual and audible alerts warn of upcoming safety cameras and accident black spots."

See http://www.memory-map.co.uk/road_angel_adventurer_satnav.htm

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Does the metroguide give all the tiny little roads abroad? I use some pretty obscure roads in France sometimes!

OP
OP
C

Cat

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Cat hi...it makes purrfect sense to get a cycle sat nav. I would like to get one asap funds permitting.

Take a look at a converstaion we had recently about this:
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8795

Getting lost on a bike is no fun, especially in bad weather.

Anothe roption might be a Nokia Navigator mobile phone?

So many people are saying to many GPS systems im getting confused, lol....

I just want one thats cheap and will show me where im going and gt me back home again :biggrin:

RedBike said:
I find mine invaulable for sportive / audax rides.

On sportives I blindly follow the signs / route directions with little to no idea of where i'm actually going or where I am. Then I miss a turn, or start to panic thinking i've missed a turn.

At this moment I switch the satnav on and tell it to take me to the next food stop / major point on the route (which i've pre-programmed in).

As soon as I see the direction signs / find myself in the notes I turn it back off.

I've got an audax ride coming up on the 8th June (the orchid one) anyone else doing it? 75 miles.... :smile:

That's one reason y i want the Sat Nav, in fear of getting lost...

I didnt know my post would set of world war 3 between the use of paper maps & electronic GPS systems...

I would more than happy read a map, but if im in the country side and dont know what the road is called (as being essex, not very well signposted) i could cycle around for hours till i come accross a sign or a person (then when u ask that person, they have no idea what road they are on also) as where u have a gps system it picks up where u r and off u go.....not only is the gps quick at planning your route, it doesnt watse time looking through a map when u could be riding.

I was looking at the Garmin 705 but as it aint out yet in the UK there isnt any reviews on it and its very expensive.

I have a car sat nav that plans cycle routes, but its too big to attach to my bike.

Plus im new to cycling, well this type of cycling, i used to ride a bike when i was younger (age 15 or so) doing 24 miles of countryside with the parents but lost touch many years back so getting back out there on a "road bike" is new (in some ways) :thumbsup:

RedBike

As posted before. Loads of car sat nav system are now small enough to be easily carried in your pocket, mounted in a case/bag on the bars. Battery life varies but you can normally get about 3 hours from them. Not enough to navigate the whole ride with one but more than adequate to get you back on route. Likewise loads of mobile phones now come with satnav built in.

The big disadvantage of both systems is they're not water-proof and mounting them on the bars can be arkward. Which is why systems like the Garmin will always be better (but also more expensive).

Top Bottom