Is there a sat Nav for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just posted initial impression of 705 here

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just got a new HTC desire mobile phone.
It has built in google maps, complete with sat-nav routing.

It was free on £20.00 month contract.
Possibly not ideal for bar mounting etc, but if it's just needed as a "Help I'm lost" feature then ideal.

Hmm April 2008.
Everyone on this thread probably has one by now (me included as of last week) :tongue:
Mind you old threads resurrected years later are often down to passing google searchers.

Just a gps. Edge 500 bundle from amazon. Nothing like buying something for £186 only to see them price track down to £180 knowing that had you waited it would have gone up to £190 instead :wacko:
I needed it coz I is a performance cyclist not because it was shiny. Okay a low performance cyclist with a shiny gps system. Mamils have to evolve or die :biggrin:

jimboalee

You can use a Tom Tom. They have about a five hour battery life.

When it has calculated the route, pop it in a plastic bag and tape it to the side of your helmet. Then just follow the spoken instructions.

Remember to disable Motorways.

You can use a Tom Tom. They have about a five hour battery life.

When it has calculated the route, pop it in a plastic bag and tape it to the side of your helmet. Then just follow the spoken instructions.

Remember to disable Motorways.

Now now, Jimbo...:biggrin:

subaqua

What’s the point
I use my HTC HD2 with copilot ( came bundled with) I stick it in a outside pocket and can hear the directions. i could use the headphones but SWMBO would kill me. i have toyed with the idea of cable tying the car mount to the bars but its a tad too expensive to risk a fly off :smile:

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Just a thought but have a look at this

Bryton Rider 50 - supplier is Selwyn Sport - sorry not very good at adding links so suggest do a search via Google

Seriously thinking of ordering one myself and not yet found a bad review

Paul.G.

• 2.2" Color Transreflective TFT Panel
• High Sensitivity GPS Chipset
• Support 17 Languages
• Preloaded Maps and POIs
• IPX7 Waterproof Design
• Knock Knock TM Wireless Data Sharing
• Cycling Meter/Navigation/Step Counter and more
• Route planning, training statistics and more....

pshore

Wow, I just skim read 7 pages and nobody has mentioned any OpenStreetMap based maps !

If you've got a Garmin device you can most likely put one of the OpenStreetMap based maps on it for free. There are a number of different style maps depending on your focus. Road (car), road bike/touring bike, MTB/walking

Being the wikipedia of maps it is not complete everywhere but you can add routes yourself. If it is on here it is already mapped:
http://www.openstreetmap.org

I have a Garmin Dakota 20. Typically, I will plan a route online with something like bikeroutetoaster and upload to the GPS then follow. If you need to deviate from that, the routing intelligence of the map becomes important so you don't end up on the nearest motorway.

I've used the OpenCycleMap version to cycle tour with the national cycle network highlighted like a motorway. OpenMtbMap for offroading then found the nearest fish and chip shop by browsing through the food menus on the Garmin. Velomap is done by the same chap as OpenMtbMap but has better routing for road and touring bikes.

It's not all perfect as its based on reverse engineering data and postcodes are copyright so they are not in OSM.

For more info:
http://wiki.openstre...Garmin/Download

They work on car based Garmins like the Nuvi if you want to try it the maps out.

Phil.

Top Bottom