Is there a saviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tonight I was out riding on my recumbent trike with my 99% puncture proof Schwalbe tyres (or so I was told) but unfortunately my front tyre got a puncture. I couldn't fix the puncture due to my disability (paralsis of both arms) so all I could do was ride my trike back home slowly. I was on a gritty canal path in the middle of nowhere could these surface conditions play a part in my puncture? The tyre has a inner tube is there anything you can buy to stop punctures? Thanks for taking the time to read this I appreciate any help.

Iain

Lanzecki

Über Member
Schwalbe? What type? I use Durano plus's. While they are always on the road, I've been thru gravel, stones, and pot holes. They are cut in a few places (so I can see the blue puncture resisting stuff) I've not yet had a flat.

Marathon Plus's are just Durano's with more blue puncture resisting stuff (technical term there).

Unfortunatly there is no such thing as a 100% puncture resistant tire, but Schwalbe Marathon and Durano's are as close as you can get.

I'll now wait for someone to suggest another make that's just as resistant. ^_^

Canrider

Guru
No offense, but that's just nutty in vaguely regular riding conditions. I remember people on USian bike forums going on about how to avoid thorns-in-the-road punctures, but it was always a bunch down Arizona-way that were obsessed about it.

You had a flat, it will happen. You can try and mitigate against with a selection of tyres, but ultimately you will likely fall afoul of it at some point.

Now, you say you can't change a flat on the road due to preexisting conditions, and we all know your tyres can't be 100% flat-proof, so perhaps what you need to do is decide whether it makes more sense to carry preinflated spare wheels (heavy, but ready to use), or try inflating your tyres with anti-flat goop: http://www.slime.com/.

AndyRM

XOXO
This is personal experience, but I have had nothing but bother with Schwalbe tyres. After several massively frustrating incidents I switched to Continental Gatorskins for commuting and Michelin Krylion or Service Course for racing. Never had any bother since.

I would avoid that Slime stuff. Makes your wheels incredibly heavy and, again in my experience, doesn't work.

HovR

Über Member
Which Schwalbe tires are your bike equipped with? The Marathon Plus is the most puncture resistant of the Schwalbe range, although there is also a slightly less puncture resistant Marathon (not plus). If you have the latter you may consider upgrading to the Marathon Plus model. They're a bit heavier but much more puncture resistant. These are the tires that many tourers swear by and ride many thousands of miles on.

As mentioned above, Slime inner tubes are an option, although I suspect anything big enough to puncture a Marathon Plus tire may be too big for slime or other sealants to fix, although having never tried it I don't know this for sure.

The canal path could possibly have something to do with your puncture, if there were lots of bushes/brambles nearby then a thorn or similar may have caused your puncture, or even broken glass that you may have not seen, however the fact that the path was gritty shouldn't have been enough to cause a puncture in itself.

Another thing to consider is that if your tires get too soft then this can actually cause punctures, as if you hit a large bump the tire deforms/compresses and traps the innertube between the tire and the rim, causing what's known as a pinch puncture.

Hope some of that helps!

I'm not sure what Schwalbe tyes they are sorry I will buy some of those 'The Marathon Plus' tyres when my tread is low & the tyres need replacing. I'm going to give the slime a go as I've nothing to loose thank you for your advice guys it's much appreciated :thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
I'm not sure what Schwalbe tyes they are sorry I will buy some of those 'The Marathon Plus' tyres when my tread is low & the tyres need replacing. I'm going to give the slime a go as I've nothing to loose thank you for your advice guys it's much appreciated :thumbsup:

If they are Marathon Plus tires then they'll look something like this and should say Marathon Plus on the side, so if they don't have that they're probably another type of Schwalbe:

schwalbe_marathon_plus_reflective_assorted_tyre.jpg

As you can see they have quite a lot of blue puncture resisting stuff (technical terms again!) inside of them.

SchwalbeMarathonPlus.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Tonight I was out riding on my recumbent trike with my 99% puncture proof Schwalbe tyres (or so I was told) but unfortunately my front tyre got a puncture. I couldn't fix the puncture due to my disability (paralsis of both arms) so all I could do was ride my trike back home slowly. I was on a gritty canal path in the middle of nowhere could these surface conditions play a part in my puncture? The tyre has a inner tube is there anything you can buy to stop punctures? Thanks for taking the time to read this I appreciate any help.

Iain

You have a problem! :ohmy:
Nothing is 100% flat proof. Ime, sliming the tyres helps up to a point, that is you will be able to get home on a semi flat, if you know what I mean: I had a little bit of sharp gravel puncturing a slimed city jet, made it the 5 miles home, but had to inflate a bit.
Once, first outing with Marathon originals, sharp piece of metal, puncture. Not even the slime would have helped there.
As you cannot change the inner tube, I see possible solutions:
a friend/family member willing to be on standby for a rescue call, if you can manage the use of a mobile
or carry spare inner tubes plus tools, ride popular routes and ask for help from fellow cyclists.
A cycling buddy would be perfect!
Good luck, Iain!

AndyPeace

I've used Joe's No flats sealant on many tires, as well as other brands. It's pretty reliable stuff. I put around 80ml of sealant in a 26" tube and they last beyond the tire (Though also become glued to the tire!) I can recall 3 times when I've had sealant filled tires fail, in the last ten years...and one of those was when a tire came off and the inner tube got mangeled into the rear cassette! Using the sealant (rather than pre filled tubes) works best with schareder valves, as the valves can be unscrewed before the sealant is poured in.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'll just say that I'm approaching 3 years and over 10,000km without a puncture - thanks to Marathon+

@Iain: cool recumbent!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Iain

Off topic, but I was just wondering if you had your new trike yet.

Top Bottom