Is there a saviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

My answer would be "Specialized All Condition Armadillo Tyres", and slime. Rode my bike for three years using that system without a puncture of any kind slowing me down, a few times I'd hear the hiss of air escaping and a small jet of green spraying from the tyre, but other than that I just check the pressure of the tyre weekly, and put in a few lbs if needed. which wasn't often compared to the tyres I have now (Schwalbe City Jet road)

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes slime and M+ tyres will get you home most of the time, but there is no 100% solution. Personally I won't use M+ after having real issues getting a punctured one off, broken tyre levers, bloody knuckles and a shameful loss of temper one dark, wet night.

Nice to hear you have got your trike and are now out and about Iain.:thumbsup:. Nice Christmas present.
Sadly punctures do happen whatever, but the advice here is some of the most useful around.
All the very best on your return to riding and any problems you encounter are soon overcome.

Here's the beauty in her home land Germany just built

Attachments

• IMG_21852.jpg
    IMG_21852.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 96
my tyres are 22 inch 15/8 do they make Schwalbe marathon or marathon plus in this size as I'm struggling to find them?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I suppose one answer might be Green Tyres They don't appear to make a 22" bicycle tytre, but they do do 22" wheelchair tyres. They are used a lot on wheelchairs, where a puncture would be an obvious problem for the user.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I suppose one answer might be Green Tyres They don't appear to make a 22" bicycle tytre, but they do do 22" wheelchair tyres. They are used a lot on wheelchairs, where a puncture would be an obvious problem for the user.
I hadn't thought to look at wheelchair sizes. If it is one of these that has been used then there is a 22" Schwalbe Marathon Plus available. LINK

The ETRTO size would still be helpful to confirm it's the right size (there appear to be different versions of 22").

byegad

Legendary Member
Solid tyres give a really harsh ride. So much so that practically everyone who has made them, and over the years that's a lot of manufacturers now don't either because they are out of business or simply no longer make them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Solid tyres give a really harsh ride. So much so that practically everyone who has made them, and over the years that's a lot of manufacturers now don't either because they are out of business or simply no longer make them.
I didn't say they didn't! However a lot (most NHS?) of wheelchairs come fitted with them, and we detected very little difference when we changed to Schwalbe Grey pneumatic ones . As pusher, I can't say that the difference was very apparent to me either. Maybe if we used some better ones - Speedrun or Airborne, for example - but at the expense of puncture resistance which is what the OP is after.

Top Bottom